Regrinds and Shims

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i got some regrinds from SIP but the base circle is smaller so i cant use toyota shims. I dun wanna use custom shims since it will need to be thicker and have a bigger risk of flying out.

Question is what have you guys done? I'm not sure if i should get lash caps and if so wat size should i use, or maybe underbucket shims?

Any ideas?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
GC89;1307661 said:
The easiest and one of the most reliable thing to do would be to go with shim less buckets. Ill see If I can find the link for you

he knows about shimless buckets but they cost a fortune...we just want answers to the question asked...thanks though!

Whoever is using underbucket shims..if you have a pic of one please post it so I have an idea how they are made.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
If 300 bucks is what you consider a fortune you shouldn't be building a motor.

I know one person who was going to go with under bucket shims, Ill give him a ring and see how it worked out for him.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
aljordan;1307850 said:
Someone needs to find the outside diamter of the 3S shimless buckets, and compare that to the 7m buckets. I'm going to guess they are different.

They are 28mm same as the 7M, I believe there are a few other motors you can get shimless buckets for that will work. 1SZ is one of them IIRC

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
anyone have any ideas?

I'm sure there needs to be someone out there with regrinds install...

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
lol this may be complete bollox,
but could you not put a shim under the bucket as well, I know the shims will fit inside the bucket, because when I had all the buckets out I dropped the shims inside each one to stop them getting mixed up, but I honestly don`t know how well it would work

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i dunno if that would work since inside the buckets isnt flat...edges are rounded and theres a nipple, but like i said dunno if it would work or not.

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
thats a problem then, if they were flat it would probably work, but if there is a nipple( presumably were the valve stem sits), there could be a possibility of splitting the shim,so I wouldn`t like to chance it.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I had to deal with reground 7M cams once.
I went to 4AG length valves, that are just a tad longer.
The valve springs had to be shimmed to bring them back to normal compressed height, but that is a no-brainer to do.

4AG valves have 1mm smaller head size, so......
If you want to stick with stock 7M valve size, you order 1mm os 4AG valves.
If you want larger valves, order 2mm os 4AG valves
(I bought mine from RevValve - http://www.revvalves.com/home.php ).

Everything went great, and worked well.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
empera;1309896 said:
i have manley 1mm oversized valves so i wont be touching those.

We use an underbucket "make up shim" all the time without problem. Use the stock shim on top, and add a make up shim under the bucket as well. Make the shim only as thick as need to make up the reduction in base circle. We usually make them about .010 smaller in diameter to avoid the curved edge of the inside of the bucket.