redid my wiring...couple questions

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
I bought my 1jz swapped mkiii with a rat's nest wire fest. I'm in the process of fixing this and have a couple of questions.

1. What is the silver box, with relay looking thing next to the strut tower (see attached pic). When I turn my ignition on, the relay (attached to the top right of box)...this shouldn't happen :icon_razz.

2. Is the "check plug" needed?

3. What are the bare minimum sensors for the car to start? I come from the Nissan world where all you really need is the Cam Angle Sensor. Now I have 2 Cam angle sensors, a crank angle sensor, a map sensor, temp sensor, ect.

4. What are the bare minimum sensors for the car to run properly (ie start, idle, part throttle, full throttle), not including things such as knock sensor or hydro fan.

I know this is a lot. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• p_00040.jpg
    p_00040.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Leave all of the sensors on your engine.

The check plug is there for your convenience. But, it might be hard to check your ECU codes without it.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Anyone? I'm gonna get working on this again tonight and would like some insight as to where to start. Thanks

"Leave all the sensors on the engine" is not what I'm looking for. It's a "race car" and I'd like to eliminate what is not needed...but more so would like to have an idea as to what might be wrong if the car will not start/idle/boost.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
tErbo b00st;967968 said:
I bought my 1jz swapped mkiii with a rat's nest wire fest. I'm in the process of fixing this and have a couple of questions.

1. What is the silver box, with relay looking thing next to the strut tower (see attached pic). When I turn my ignition on, the relay (attached to the top right of box)...this shouldn't happen :icon_razz.

2. Is the "check plug" needed?

3. What are the bare minimum sensors for the car to start? I come from the Nissan world where all you really need is the Cam Angle Sensor. Now I have 2 Cam angle sensors, a crank angle sensor, a map sensor, temp sensor, ect.

4. What are the bare minimum sensors for the car to run properly (ie start, idle, part throttle, full throttle), not including things such as knock sensor or hydro fan.

I know this is a lot. Thanks in advance!

O2 sensor, crank sensor both cam sensors and map sensors are critical components to run your car in the 1JZ. You will need them if you are using stock ecu. Knock sesnors, when not used, tends to retard the timing.
However, if you are running a stand alone like an AEM, you may get away with just using one cam sensor....but you have to look at what's required of any particular stand alone.

You can remove the check connector if you are not going to be doing any diagnosys etc.

Fuel pump relay/resistor is located on the passenger shock tower. Injector Resistor is located on the driver's side shock tower.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
suprastanger507mgte;968398 said:
O2 sensor, crank sensor both cam sensors and map sensors are critical components to run your car in the 1JZ. You will need them if you are using stock ecu. Knock sesnors, when not used, tends to retard the timing.
However, if you are running a stand alone like an AEM, you may get away with just using one cam sensor....but you have to look at what's required of any particular stand alone.

You can remove the check connector if you are not going to be doing any diagnosys etc.

Fuel pump relay/resistor is located on the passenger shock tower. Injector Resistor is located on the driver's side shock tower.

Thanks just what I was looking for. Hopefully I can get this bitch started.