Red (LazyEye) Supra Build

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
It's about time I posted a build thread about this supra. I will start out with how it was when I got it and catch the thread up to speed from there. So here are the pics from when I first bought it:

4.jpg7.jpg1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg

More to come!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Looking good Dan. Let me know if you need the hoist. Getting the old 87 from Sean for parts was a real smart move, giving him back the car not that your done stripping her was even smarter.

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
leecheater;1709295 said:
Looking good Dan. Let me know if you need the hoist. Getting the old 87 from Sean for parts was a real smart move, giving him back the car not that your done stripping her was even smarter.

Haha sorry about the mess, when I'm in St Cloud next I'll help Sean put it back. Hows the radiator situation?

I recently purchased funky's old supra and had spent a wild week or two swapping most of his stuff into mine. I'll start with the suspension:

Left rear subframe before the swap
Left Before.jpg

Left rear subframe after the swap
Left After.jpg

Right rear subframe before the swap
**Edit** Check out that awesome brake caliper setup. It came that way no joke!!! **Edit**
Right Before.jpg

Right rear subframe after the swap
Right After.jpg

After about 20 ft of breakerbar, the subframe was released
IMG_20110504_145417.jpg

Last edited:

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
The Advans were next. They had some bad tires on the rear, so I had to get some new tires put on them before I could drive around on them. I wish I had taken pics of them before I did the swap. Bring on the Advans:

Before the Advans, running the dirty peasant sawblades
Dirty Peasnt Sawblades.jpg

Front drivers
Front.jpg

Rear Drivers
Rear.jpg

Money Shot
Money Shot.jpg

Rocking the lazyeye
LazyEye.jpg

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
After getting the wheels sorted, Funky's leather seats were next. The original interior wasn't really all that bad, but as Mike Brewer says, "But its got to have leathaa!" Funky had redone the seats with a leather cover package which ended up looking pretty sweet in the car. The red stitch luckily matched the color of the car (how nicely that worked out!)

Drivers
Drivers.jpg

Passenger
Passenger.jpg

Parking Brake & Arm Rest
Parking Brake Booth & Arm Rest.jpg

Back Seats
Back Seats.jpg

I also scored a brand new hatch seal from the Funky shell, he was horrified when he watched it come out but luckily it was not harmed.
Funky's Seal.jpg

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
Funky's shell came with the super nice traction bars, but I really didn't need them. I traded leecheater for his aluminum ones which will be fine for me and the super strong ones would be great for him. They made a pretty huge difference too. I can't hop my wheels at all anymore (although my clutch is going out so maybe it isn't to accurate).
IMG_20110511_161700.jpgIMG_20110511_163318.jpg

Also, being the guinnie pig for Emilio, I bought a Forge bypass valve. The factory bypass was causing surge like crazy so it was either bosch bypass or splurge for the Forge. I figured why not go for the Forge.
IMG_20110511_161835.jpg

The Funky shell also supplied me with a Mishimoto radiator. Which was awesome because mine was leaking like crazy.
IMG_20110511_161841.jpg

I picked up a super old fj40 oil cap from Han's Auto Salvage which looked pretty neat and slapped that on as well.
IMG_20110511_162036.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
You get quite an appreciation for how much has been done to this car already after seeing the pictures. It's amazing how far it's come, and that's not even counting the engine not running right!

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
leecheater;1709538 said:
Dan, your car is making a huge transformation. Looking good. Thanks for trading those bars.

No problem. Win-win for the both of us. Sucks that you are having such bad exhaust problems but at least you got a chance to really give it a go!

So I haven't done too many exciting things but progress is being made none the less. I figured since my car was hemorrhaging every type of fluid imaginable onto my belts that I should buy three new ones. Due to the Mishimoto, I figured I'd just take of the fan and clean it up a lot. Better than nothing right?
IMG_20110517_192126.jpg

I've been trying to get my A/C working, but my wiring was all derpin. Heres what it looked like before. (Imagine immaculate soldering and heat shrink tube after :icon_bigg).
IMG_20110517_150502.jpg
I don't know if my compressor is good though. When I got everything hooked up nothing really happened. I'm pretty sure the compressor clutch isn't engaging due to lack of freon but I'm not sure. I might be looking for a new compressor.

I picked up a battery tie down strap from driftmotion and I got a new set of battery terminals because my old ones were pretty horrible:
Before:
IMG_20110518_150021.jpg
After:
IMG_20110518_150043.jpg

I also visited Emilio and stopped by suprasport to pick up a set of swaybar endlinks. They are pretty sweet and were the last step before I had my car aligned fully.
IMG_20110516_152155.jpg

I have a friend who lives in Canon Falls (MN) who may be able to check my A/C system for leaks and he has a bunch of r12 too. Hopefully I can get some of it.

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
Here is an interesting video I found on my phone today, Funky and I derpin around trying to get the rear subframe off. It was on there pretty good!

[video=youtube;KlG_QIUfK58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlG_QIUfK58[/video]

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Hahahaaha I started laughing the instant I saw it getting shaked, then seeing that it was me doing it was even more lulz!

That subframe was really not wanting to be evicted.

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
funky_monkey58;1713434 said:
Hahahaaha I started laughing the instant I saw it getting shaked, then seeing that it was me doing it was even more lulz!

That subframe was really not wanting to be evicted.

lmao I know, I can't watch it and not laugh at your face when you are like "welp that ain't coming off"

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
So my clutch is pretty much gone now, time to swap in the new one.

My exhaust is pretty much fooked. Took the whole thing off and there are rust holes everywhere. The first pic is not caused by rust but is a result of taking off my exhaust before. Sean had to weld it blind, not too bad?
IMG_20110526_184551.jpg
Here is one of the many rust holes.
IMG_20110526_184529.jpg
My first look at the back of my turbo. I was pretty nervous because I haven't peeked at it yet but it doesn't look too bad. Play is good as well.
IMG_20110526_185744.jpg
So here is where I am stuck. You may recognize it. The almighty top starter bolt. I have looked high and low for a good strategy for getting it off and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried bendy attachments, extensions and all but I might just have to buy a stumpy 14? Any suggestions?
IMG_20110526_211558.jpg
I was super sad, so I made an epic sandwich :)
IMG_20110526_220256.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I use a short 14mm wrench on engine side(if you dont have the 91+ with threads) and a bunch of extensions with a wobble 14mm on the trans side. One you start loosening just make sure the wrench pry against the starter or something and all you have to worry about is the trans side.

Got it down to where i can get it off in a couple min once i get into the right position. Of course having smaller arms helps a tad too.

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
hvyman;1716048 said:
I use a short 14mm wrench on engine side(if you dont have the 91+ with threads) and a bunch of extensions with a wobble 14mm on the trans side. One you start loosening just make sure the wrench pry against the starter or something and all you have to worry about is the trans side.

Got it down to where i can get it off in a couple min once i get into the right position. Of course having smaller arms helps a tad too.

Thanks I'll give that a shot!