Recommendation Needed

Plau000

Feb 11, 2006
Tucson
For my 87 Supra, what would be a better chose. 2JZ or 1JZ? I want the one with the least amount of problems, in terms of, if something breaks or I have to buy a part. I don't want to lose my mind looking for shit. Unlike, most of you I don't have the luxury of spending huge amount of hours on the computer. If I did I would have finished my car years ago.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
it depends on how much money you have , how much time you have, and how technologically and mechanically experienced you are.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
least amount of problems?

The "problems" are not a byproduct of the engine but instead are a byproduct of the owner.

Meaning whatever engine you choose, if you do not maintain it, it will cause problems. With that said. Both will be time consuming to "swap" in for the 7m. Especially if you are already pressed for time.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Where is the quote from SC "99 times out of 100, the problem with the Mark III is the owner"

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Plau000;1071349 said:
For my 87 Supra, what would be a better chose. 2JZ or 1JZ? I want the one with the least amount of problems, in terms of, if something breaks or I have to buy a part. I don't want to lose my mind looking for shit. Unlike, most of you I don't have the luxury of spending huge amount of hours on the computer. If I did I would have finished my car years ago.

i would say any year make or model HONDA :) JK

with a 7MGTE parts will be slightly expensive
with a 1JZGTE parts will be slightly expensive and will have a longer wait and some parts hard to find
with a 2JZGTE parts will be slightly expensive and can be found easily.

In regards to swapping, 1j or 2j its hard regardless. It all depends on the person's mechanical know how, time, and $$ that will determine the speed in which its done and if the proper homework has been done to complete such a task.

I spend way too much time on the computer, but thats my job, if you do not have access or do not desire to spend time in front of the computer and expect questions or problems to be handed to you because you do not desire to do some homework (long amounts of time on the internet), i will say rethink that idea my friend. The answers from people on this board is because they SPENT time on the net.

The search button is a great tool, but it will take much time in going through threads and doing homework before you start the project. Good luck with which ever path you take.

PS. Purchase the TSRM or download them if you do not have the luxury of seat time on the internet.

This will help you trouble shoot, install, remove, items from the car.

Plau000

Feb 11, 2006
Tucson
I appreciate the advice. I'm extremely mechanically incline. I've successfully built a 00' Civic Si, 89' 240sx and a 79' Corolla. Plus, I have the money, no problem. Thats a good thing about being a correctional officer, plenty of overtime. My only dilemma is the research from the computer. I know the 2jz was the American engine we were given in the MKIV, so parts should be easier to find. I just wanted to see if maybe someone out there can tell me if the 1JZ parts can be found just as easy. Seeing as that I can get a 1JZ for about $1500 and a 2JZ for about $2000. Thank you for the info, I'm leaning towards the 2JZ. Let you guys know how it comes out. Should be done by Oct. Hopefully.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Plau000;1073411 said:
I appreciate the advice. I'm extremely mechanically incline. I've successfully built a 00' Civic Si, 89' 240sx and a 79' Corolla. Plus, I have the money, no problem. Thats a good thing about being a correctional officer, plenty of overtime. My only dilemma is the research from the computer. I know the 2jz was the American engine we were given in the MKIV, so parts should be easier to find. I just wanted to see if maybe someone out there can tell me if the 1JZ parts can be found just as easy. Seeing as that I can get a 1JZ for about $1500 and a 2JZ for about $2000. Thank you for the info, I'm leaning towards the 2JZ. Let you guys know how it comes out. Should be done by Oct. Hopefully.

2jz wasn't american...