rebuilt engine prime question??

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
I have a rebuilt motor that has all new parts, oil pump shimmed 5mm, DM transfer tube, new oil squirters and full flow oil system with remote filter and thermostatic cooler. I wanted to fill the system with oil prior to starting it so I pulled the plugs and cranked it about 10 times times for a minute at a time, with a break in between each cranking. I get flow as I had the oil pressure sensor feed line dropped in a bottle and oil did flow. When I connect that line to a mechanical pressure gauge I get no pressure.

I have read that some have built pressure and some have issues??? Im recharging my battery to make sure its spinning fast enough and Ill try again later but would like some experienced input if you have any.

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
Well I read all day and came to the conclusion it just cannot spin fast enough. I saw the needle move a little once and I had flow so I gave it a try. Only ran for a minute as the maf and intake tubing were removed but it fired right off and gave me as much as 40 psi then settled to 20 psi at idle speed.