Rebuild OR New Engine???

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
Please take a easy on me. I wasn't sure where to put this.My car has been sitting for a bit now and now that I finially have a garage I can actually do something with it. My question is should I send the engine away to be rebuilt or should I just get a new replacement engine for it?? I found one for $900 and some change (shipping) and if a rebuild is going to cost more I rather buy a new one. Now when I say rebuild I would want a price on just all factory. And maybe a price on some performance parts (rods,pistons etc.) So what does everyone think I'm shooting for about 400hp. And can anyone give me a place that can do what I'am asking? Nothing in gods country something local (philly,pa) I dont mind a drive but it better be worth it. Please everyone let me know what you all think because I need to set myself in some kind of direction. And if this was answered already, Sorry please give me the link. Thanks!

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
Even if you get a "NEW" engine it would be a good idea to have a basic rebuild done. That could double the cost of a normal rebuild. Is the Sup your only car?

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
No its not my only car. I also have a Impreza. So in a way I'm not in a big rush but I want it done and over with.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I would jut pull the motor and have it rebuilt. That's what I am doing I think it will minamize the hassle of keeping track of two motors and it will be cheaper.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
Well it depends on what you need. A full rebuild with all new internals and a machine shop doing it will cost around $4000 maybe more. But, if the work is performed by a good shop and done right, it should be more reliable and there would be no chance of wether its good or not. On the other hand, a JDM imported motor it much cheaper, and ussualy come with all the extra parts on it. Just having that made my swap cheaper and easier. But the chance that you get a good motor may not be that good. So far the one i bought has gave me 0 troubles (knock on wood)

If there is anyway you can afford to rebiult it, i would go with that route.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Rebuild it. Price shop for bearings, seal kit, arp hardware, MHG, and a bunch of other things that you can save on. Everypenny counts. Don't spend where you don't have to. Know where you want this engine to go and what you need to get it there. Trust me this is something I'm just getting done with. And it was painful.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
againstdawall06 said:
A full rebuild with all new internals and a machine shop doing it will cost around $4000 maybe more..

Rediculous price quote. Assuming your rods and pistons are in okay shape and you don't need a bore, you will be spending about $1500-$1700 for a short block with all new bearings, mhg, and having it assembled correctly.

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
Ok thanks everyone. So most is saying rebuild and most is saying buy a new one. Which one would benefit me more in being reliable?

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
Turb0Lover said:
Ok thanks everyone. So most is saying rebuild and most is saying buy a new one. Which one would benefit me more in being reliable?

the only way to get "real" reliability is to rebuild it.
What is wrong with the eng. now?

rod knock, BHG:biglaugh: rod through the block:biglaugh: ????
this will depend greatly on the rebuild costs.

i bought a JDM motor.
and i ended up rebuilding it before install:3d_frown: waste of money..

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Im with everyone else at least with a rebuild you know what you got!!!!
Good luck with whatever you decide........:icon_bigg

Turbolover it seemed you were afraid of getting flamed when you posted??? We are not SF here if you post in the wrong sections the mods will move it its all good. Dont be afraid to post we are here for each other!!!!!

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
da89soup said:
Im with everyone else at least with a rebuild you know what you got!!!!
Good luck with whatever you decide........:icon_bigg

Turbolover it seemed you were afraid of getting flamed when you posted??? We are not SF here if you post in the wrong sections the mods will move it its all good. Dont be afraid to post we are here for each other!!!!!

Thanks man, and its good to know I wont get flamed unlike other fourms I'm on.

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
catback said:
the only way to get "real" reliability is to rebuild it.
What is wrong with the eng. now?

rod knock, BHG:biglaugh: rod through the block:biglaugh: ????
this will depend greatly on the rebuild costs.

i bought a JDM motor.
and i ended up rebuilding it before install:3d_frown: waste of money..

yeah it was a BHG and it just makes the worst noise ever. I'm sure some of you people heard it before.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I've had 4 JDM engines now, 2 of them came with a very nice BHG.

So if you want to roll the dice, then by all means, but personally I would never put a 7MGTE in my car without a full rebuild.

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
I'm in the same process as you....I'm gonna rebuild my engine....new gaskets/seals/plugs...ect...should be about $1500-$2000