Reasonable RWHP goals on a TT 1jz-gte MKIII?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
Since I'll be separating with my 88 Supra Turbo soon my next goal is that on my next MKIII Turbo I want to do a 1jz swap. I plan to go with the cheaper TT 1JZ over the VVT-I as much for cost as the fact that I have always wanted a twin turboed car. What is a reasonable and easy power goal for that? I was thinking 350-400 at most. Is that at all difficult to achieve off the TT set up? And could someone offer a list of normal mods that it would require?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I laid down 320rwhp at 12psi on the stock twins. Only mods on my setup are 3" exhaust from the turbos back, BC 264 cams, and porting/polishing of the head. EVERYTHING down to the intake is otherwise stock, and this was spinning 275's out back, so they aren't light tires... it's pretty much a 350hp motor in stock form to be honest. Do those mods, up the boost a couple pounds, you'll be quite happy with it. Or just go with a (relatively, at least around here) small single turbo. As cool as it is to say you have twins, they're a pain in the butt to work on if need be, and generate a LOT of unnecessary heat.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
If I kept stock cams but upgraded the fuel system what kind of horse power would I be looking at? And what size injectors is a common upgrade? 550s like the 7m? Or bigger? Yeah I'm aware that a single is "better" than twins but I plan to get the rear badge that says "2.5 Twin Turbo R" xD! Way too cool man so getting rid of the twins just isn't an option for me haha. Lame I know. ;) Do 1jz motors have any inherent flaws like the 7m does? Or could I expect a very reliable engine after it is properly machined and gaskets are fresh?

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
only flaws are the turbos failing randomly. some have luck with them and some fail immediately. i hear that the capacitors on the ecu's fail too which is a relatively cheap/easy fix. the 1JZ does not have oiling or head gasket issues

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Alright that is what I like to hear. When I do my swap, which will be months down the road, I'll send my twin turbos into Driftmotion for them to be rebuilt. I saw that they offer that rebuild/upgrade for the stock twins.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I think DM only rebuilds the stock twins from the Aristo 2JZ, which are different turbos. I don't see anything else listed on their site about rebuilding the 1JZ CT12A twin turbos. I've heard that the stock twins are very difficult to rebalance properly. Most experienced turbo shops won't touch them. Those that do seem to replace the stock ceramic wheels with steel ones that have alot more lag, but are more durable. The cost of a rebuild isn't much less than a DM single upgrade kit though.

I really liked the stock twins too, but I'm putting together a single now because I didn't want to deal with replacing them with used sets in unknown condition all the time. My stock twins died after about 4 months of use (3,000 miles). Well, technically only one of them died, it started leaking oil into the exhaust.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You will prolly only see maybe 350 max with the stock twins.

Imo the stock twins are gay. IF i wanted respone id just go with a small frame single that spooled quick but let the engine rev high. !jz's like to rev. There cool but not that cool and the whole arent twin turbos better since theres two thing is annoying the hell out of me.

Its up to you tho.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The response they give is a sure thrill, but like other have said/will say, most singles will do the same and more while being less complicated..

after swapping, my car did 340whp @ 16psi with an AFC Neo, tuned ECU, 3" downpipe, and FMIC+piping.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Let's put it this way, with headwork, I could see 350whp being realistic at the upper limits of flow that the stock twins can put out. To put it another way, once you do the head work, your 'awesome' little twins are going to become a choke point on the motor. My car is a blast until it hits 5k, then it kinda flattens out. I'm sorry, but I don't like an engine that can rev to over 7k to be limited at 5k by TINY turbos... small single will spool up just as fast, but, like HVYMAN said, will let the engine still rev. ;)

Albert on here is working on some CT12A rebuilds by the way...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
albert is making ct-12a upgrades something to keep in mind

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

te72;1749405 said:
Albert on here is working on some CT12A rebuilds by the way...

read this afterwards

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Without the exhaust housing being upgraded its not going to do anything for top end. It will hit like crazy down low but up top your still going to flat line.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1749543 said:
Without the exhaust housing being upgraded its not going to do anything for top end. It will hit like crazy down low but up top your still going to flat line.

Talk about a burnout monster... wonder if the hot side of things can be upgraded as well?