Rear wheel Bearing

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Hub.jpg

Hello all just curious on this breakdown. I have the back passenger side hub off the car My manual is zero help with this I assume these two piece on the IMG come apart to allow me to get the bearing out.

1: Do I really need to take this to a Mech to have it pressed out. (I say this because I am willing to fight the good fight)

2: Is it a sealed bearing? I removed this to silence a little movement It wasn't bad But warranted enough to Re-pack if necessary. (if its sealed I will replace instead of re pack)

Anyone have a breakdown of this?

(Also the other side of this Hub has the 5 stud bolts on the spindle)

If you want more pics just ask ill put whatever is necessary!

(Edit: The thumbnail pic? I dunno lol I am an idiot to lazy or to stupid to fix it Xd)

Attachments

• my car.jpg
    my car.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 14

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Hehe so going in from the rear prolly best? If there is a snap ring holding front spindle won't b possible from front. Any tricks to pulling that race and oil seal from the half shaft side? I'm hesitant to start prying on them to see if anything moves.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
ah one last very important question was is a sealed bearing or old style able to be re packed? that img looked sealed

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure its open. I remember there being an inner race I could remove and get to the ball bearings

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you cannot re pack them.

You either use a slide hammer to pull the hub off or press it off it and the bearing has to be pressed off unless you have the nice wheel bearing removal and installation tool which is around 5-600$(and you wouldnt have had to pull the knuckle off the car either).

also there is a snap ring which has to be removed before pressing the bearing and you must replace both the inner and outer seals after the new bearing is in.

Also the rear sperical bearings can cause wheel play in all directions. So if the wheel bearing doesnt fix it its prolly that.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
I ordrerd New bearing and seals. My optimism to remove myself has been punched in the face. (⊙_⊙). Might get some quotes from nearby shops. Shouldn't be to terrible if I bring parts in.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Certainly no shame in having a shop press out bearings after you've removed the needed assembly from the car. Having the right tools makes that a breeze and given the likelihood (very low) of regular joe's owning a proper bearing press means this sort of thing might be best left to a shop for many of us.

I've fought with too many press in/out items that now I just plan on taking that stuff to a shop. Unless it's real small and I can get clever with a few nuts/washers/studs and make my own mini press it's just not worth the headache when a real arbor press does the job in seconds. That being said, one of my next garage tool purchases will be an H frame floor press. :)

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
The shame! :p so good news the local shop in Po-dunk Iowa where I live said they would do it for 30$ a small price to pay for me not burning down the garage in a fit of rage. Thank you everyone really. All the info I receive here on SM is first class. ^^

Last edited: