Rear Tint Removal Insanity w/ Defrost

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
After a few frustrating hours with the last remaining bits of the 18+ year old tint on the rear window, I am trying to determine what I should do next.

After heating the tint and removing the 1st layer fairly easily the 2nd layer is quite stubborn.
I have tried all the various suggested solvents to dissolve, melt, de-stick ect.... and nothing is working.
Basically I am going crazy trying to razor the remaining crap off in between the defrost lines.

2 options I am trying to decide on.
1. Continue spending hours dodging the defrost lines and repair them after. (Defrost currently works good)
2. Razor the entire window while laughing devilishly, then re apply lines with something like this. http://www.frostfighter.com/prt26STK.htm

Any other bright ideas?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
*Edit.
Option 2 won't work.
The lines won't totally remove, it leaves behind a brown residue.

Anyone know of a solvent that will remove or soften the remaining crusted tint?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dude

way to much work :)

do this.

with that razor blade. Poke holes in the tint.

spray lots of water+soap solution on it.

Tape black plastic garbage bag around the inside of the window during a sunny day. After about two hours. The tint will be falling off without too much work ;)

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah... Problem is the 1'st layer of tint was already removed previously with a heat gun.
Now the 2nd layer is fused to the window.

"The difficult thing about removing tint is that most film is constructed of two layers of tinted polyester. When you try to peel the film off the glass, the top layer will usually pull right off leaving the second layer behind. This second layer will not peel off, it will just flake and tear like a price tag."

A price tag that requires a razor to remove.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Use amonia. Ive done it before with great success. Wet the windshield outside and stick a black plastic bag on it. Cover up anything you dont want to get amonia on and spray the window(tint side duh) all down with amonia. Cover up the inside of the glass with another black plastic bag and let it sit for a few hours in the sun. Im not sure if this will work for getting all the glue shit off since you already have the tint off but it might be worth a try.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Its not warm enough to try the ammonia trick here, no heated garage. :(
Goo gone, Acetone, brake clean, ect... dosn't do a thing.

Ive removed 98% of the crap with a razor blade, what a mess.

Edit..Steamer you say, what type?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Thx for the link, my tint is bubbly as well, looks terrible.
Might give the steamer idea a shot.
Nice MKII :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Piratetip;953990 said:
Yeah... Problem is the 1'st layer of tint was already removed previously with a heat gun.
Now the 2nd layer is fused to the window.

"The difficult thing about removing tint is that most film is constructed of two layers of tinted polyester. When you try to peel the film off the glass, the top layer will usually pull right off leaving the second layer behind. This second layer will not peel off, it will just flake and tear like a price tag."

A price tag that requires a razor to remove.

it does not matter

the adhesive = water soluable ;)

That is the reason I said POKE HOLE in the 2nd tint through to the glass.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
It actually really helps out if you remove the hatch; ya it's a pain in the ass but it's so much better to not be working on your back in the car...especially if your tint is being a pain!! Good luck!!

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Thx figgie, I used the razor on it all.

Yeah Kangae, thats the reason I removed mine, I was sick of not being able to see what was behind me.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Would buying a new window fix this problem or would a new one just come with more tint on it? I'm not just trying to cop out of work by buying a new window I needed one anyway.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Well I got 99% removed with a razor, all that is left is 1-2mm left on both sides of every damn defroster line.
So I may try the ammonia bag trick when the weather gets warmer, otherwise I might just by a new window.
I don't feel like spending more hours removing the 2nd layer tint.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Why don't you bring the car to a place that installs tint on windows. I am sure they have a method of removing old tint and it would probably cost $100 or less.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I can see out the window now, I'm satisfied.
And I am saving for a DD after I graduate this spring.