Rear timing cover question

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
I recently got my head back from the machine shop but found out that the rear timing cover was not machined with the head even though I gave it to them with it still installed. I have read in a few threads before that people have said that if this is not done that the front of the head will have an oil leak if I put it back together like this. I want to make sure that this does not happen. So my question is is this true and if so will just slightly grinding down the bottom edge of the rear cover and using some sealant be enough to prevent a possible oil leak.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The bottom edge is not the problem...the top surface has to be at the same or lower than the block deck. Otherwise, the higher rear timing cover will hold the head slightly off the block surface...the HG will not seal. If the top surface was not machined, you will have to take it back to the machinist...tell him you had it on the block for a reason.

The oil leak you speak of is when guys do not apply RTV in the two locations on the top rear timing cover specified in the TSRM.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
it shouldn't cost much just to machine the timing cover at the same hieght or slightly lower. if you can negotiate good you might even be able to have the machine chop do it for free.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
HommerSimpson;1349102 said:
can you take a picture of the issue at hand ? several pics maybe ?

Here are said pictures. Also cover is not bolted in place, just showing you the edge I am talking about.
As far as going back to the machine shop, as long as the cover sits slightly above the head it should be fine right? My question is that it doesn't really need to be as precise as decking the head does it?

Attachments

• DSCN0152-1.jpg
    DSCN0152-1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0154-1.jpg
    DSCN0154-1.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 17

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dude - That's the rear cam gear cover...it has nada to do with any of this. The rear timing cover attaches to the front of the block and has the water pump housing as part of it. As I said, it's the TOP surface you need to be worried about.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
That's what I was thinking but I was a little confused on the details from some previous posts that I read. Anyways I only had the head decked because I'm just using a felpro headgasket so I don't think I will run into those problems. But sorry for wasting your guys time, I guess I was just a little confused, thanks for clearing things up for me.