Rear Timing Cover Oil Leak, really don't want to pull the engine again...

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
I completed my build a few months ago, and when I went to prime the oiling system and turbo I found two large oil leaks. First ended up being the threaded plug behind the flywheel (already fixed) then I found a leak in the front. It is leaking from the rear timing cover (front cover). I'm guessing it's either the the threaded plug behind the cover just as it was in the rear or the cover gasket itself...

Now the question...

Is there anyway to get around pulling the engine to fix this? With this cover being sandwiched between the head and the oil pan is this going to be the only way? Would it be possible to loosen the head enough to lift it slightly to remove the cover without hurting the seal of the hg or the oil pan for that matter?

By the way I am using ARP studs and a MHG.

Any help would be much appreciated guys, thanks!

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
If you are using ARP studs, with a MLS head gasket, you can take it off without harming it, you should just reseal it with a copper spray of some type. Now the bottom portion of it will be a pain cause like you stated it seals with the oil pan. Now there is a gasket that goes between the block and the rear timing cover. They cost about $12.00 each from Toyota. And if you didn't put them in on your rebuild you wont seal it.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Umm I just rebuild my motor, and put the head on and rear timing cover without installing those gasket, needless to say I had to take it all back apart to do it correctly. Also you might be able to just loosen the head, but do it in sequence so you don't warp anything.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I "forgot" to install that Pipe Plug on one of my rebuilds and had the engine 95% done when I found it in the parts washer.... :(

I used a 1" hole saw and cut a hole in the corner of the cover using grease to catch the chips as where the plug is isn't inside the engine.

This allowed me to install the plug and not have to pull the head again, if you do as Tweety is saying above there's a 99% chance you'll end up with more leaks than you fix.

plug00.jpg

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
So the area where the plug is installed does not normally have oil flowing to it? I guess I'm just a little confused as I was thinking that the gasket went around the perimeter of the entire cover, or does it go around this area?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nope it's dry behind there
(or is meant to be ;) )

I searched all my pics for one showing the hole but can't find one, I used an inch holesaw as I needed to be able to get the plug in as well, but you could start with a 1/2" drill as from memory the plug is M10 Allen head.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
TweeT91109;1743074 said:
Umm I just rebuild my motor, and put the head on and rear timing cover without installing those gasket, needless to say I had to take it all back apart to do it correctly. Also you might be able to just loosen the head, but do it in sequence so you don't warp anything.

TweeT91109;1743082 said:
Hey I told him to do it properly, I would remove the head.

People are always going to take the easier option if it's available ;)

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Do you have any pics that show the exact area a little better? Or an exact explaination of the spot to drill? Also how much room do I have for error? I mean how close am I to a sealed surface when drilling this?
I have a feeling the plug is not going to be there at all for two reasons... First it is leaking badly, second the one in the rear of the block was missing, so this one may be too. I bought the car with the engine disassembled and machine work already done, guess he forgot some things and I didn't catch them... Making me miss my DSM a little...lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If it's not in there you'll have 0 oil pressure and it will bucket out, I mean it would pump the pan dry in 30 seconds..

Sorry don't have a better pic, the Gasket is behind the web that's around the Hole so there's no way you can drill into it, from memory the plug is in the middle of the hole.

Be good if someone has a timing case off an engine and can get a pic showing the back, I don't have any 7M parts here at all.

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
If you have a way to make a mark on the picture you posted earlier in a little more exact spot, that would help a ton. And by the looks of it, I won't have to pull the timing belt to do it which is a major plus.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jboyle83;1743099 said:
IJ you are awesome man! I will let you knoe what I find when I get a chance to do it!

Very welcome!

For me it was one of those DOH moments when I found the plug.... :nono:

To make matters worse I was using a Group A Magnesium pan and the 3Bond RTV I use sticks like epoxy and I didn't want to pull it again..

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
WOW, how long has the motor been ran? that plug is one end of the main oil galley coming from the pump.. did your oil psi increase?