Rear Sunshade owners look inside!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Beware of extremely cold temperatures and high winds!!!!

This happend when my car was just sitting outside for 2 days! I haven't even driven the car with the SunShade on! My best guess is that the 3M tape I used got some water on it and froze. Then when a wind gust came up, so long sun shade. The brackets at the top of the window came right off with the sunshade. They are removed in the pic. Then I guess it broke while it was skidding across my driveway or maybe when it slammed into the garage door.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is by no means the fault of KevinM!!!!

He puts together great group buys with very high quaility products that have never disappointed anyone that I know of! This was just a case of extreme conditions that I would like to warn others of!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't remember. The Supra is usually indoors for winter projects. I pushed it outside for 2 days because my mom needed a side of the garage. I came home from work today and noticed I had no sunshade and then saw it smashed up against the garage door.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I say it everyday during the winter when I can drive my car still in warm dry climate. I'll be damned if I ever have to live in a place where I have to put my Supra away for 3-5 months out of the year.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Back when my 89T was my daily driver I used to take the sunshade off during the winter months just in case - hey I wasn't showing the car off in the middle of December anyway right? Not only did this protect against accidents like this but it also prevented the sun from drying it out as quickly - as is normal for any plastics that sit out in the sun a lot.

You just have to keep in mind that these things will break eventually (somehow) and take precautions to make sure that doesn't happen.

I am a bit surprised that a gust of wind ripped off the sunshade. Did you slip the tabs on the brackets under the edge of the trim? On mine this put pressure on the brackets pushing them further into the trim providing more stability.

Also, be sure you use a good quality tape to secure the brackets. Make sure it is rated for outdoor (wet weather) use.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
starscream5000 said:
Wow, glad I haven't put mine on yet ;).

It isn't that bad. Just take some precautions and you'll be fine. You wouldn't take your phone into the pool with you and expect it to survive would you?

You wouldn't park your car on top of a building that was being demolished and expect it to just drive off after the thing collapsed would you - unless of course you are the guys over at Top Gear. :)

I've you're that worried about it why not pick up a spare like I did. :)