Rear Sub Frame Upgrade

lilmartian09

Apr 1, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
So here is what happened. My sub frame has a small crack. Not fully broke yet. I need some suggestions as to what I should do. If I get another frame it will crack. I have over 300whp and I dont want it to snap again. Is there any way to fix this or send to someone who can upgrade and repair. All inputs please. Thank you

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. Need to remove weld and brace.

If you search shaeff has detailed info in his build thread. And there are other threads with links to the page in his build thread. Think it's like page 32 or something but idk for sure.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its also good to entirely strip the whole sub frame and then go over all the stock welds and what no. ive see seperation before on both front and rear subframe where 2 pieces of metal meet together.

and then after you can por 15 or powder coat it for durability.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
ive broken a couple subframes now and they're always broken in the same place by where the pinion bolts up. ive seen some people that have almost broken theirs in half but i think thats from them driving on it forever with the pinion bolt area cracked. now on my 3rd subframe i took the time to brace it and its held up to my abuse nicely. and im not easy on my car at all :evil2: heres pics for you too see.

this is the weak point with them in my opinion. that large hole there seems to promote cracking

here you can see i made a plate that cover that hole and braces where it always cracks. i drilled a small hole in it after for it to drain too.

the welds are this side are sorta shit but they work lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That whole front area is a major weak point. ive also see the rear diff mounts crack loose as well.

having an old rusty frame doesnt help things either.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
hvyman;2022194 said:
Its also good to entirely strip the whole sub frame and then go over all the stock welds and what no. ive see seperation before on both front and rear subframe where 2 pieces of metal meet together.

and then after you can por 15 or powder coat it for durability.

yep, had mine powdercoated

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seems to be that the diff comes loose and then causes extra stress on the subframe causing the cracks. Considering I've seen it on stock cars and not seen it on heavily modified cars as well.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Would you guys recommend factory or poly subframe bushes when redoing the subframe? And spacers or no? Or are they the same thing? Overall I'm just really confused

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yhatzee89;2022872 said:
Would you guys recommend factory or poly subframe bushes when redoing the subframe? And spacers or no? Or are they the same thing? Overall I'm just really confused

Spacers effectively hard mount the subframe to the body. Bushes will just stiffen it up without hard mounting which could transfer noise and vibration into the body.