Rear Stud Removal

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
ok, so holy crap i feel like i've done every trick in the book besides doing this the hard and "right" way. i'm asking if any of you guys have any tricks i could use. The other posts i've read about deal mostly with the front and the rear seem like such "easy" thing. so far...
1. Hammer
2. Heat
3. Air hammer
4. Drill out center
5. Heat
6. Hammer
7. More hammering

and now i've given up. lol

Before:

After:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/82432398@N05/8245833399/]

IMAG0429

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
^^ Agree, you can even put in the ARP IS300 studs without removing. I used a 5 lbs hand sledge & they poped out with a couple of hits.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
well, TECHNICALY it wasnt a hammer.....used the bottom end of the jack stand thing.but the thing is, im hitting it so hard, its deforming the bolt...

the other thing i tried was heating the out side with a torch and upsidedown can of compressed air to cool the bolt... no dice. and the air hammer punch attachment lost...lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No use a punch and a big hammer.

Yes they will work but iirc toyota ones are a couple bucks.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
i guess you need the right tools for the job. went out and got a 5lb hammer and ~20 hits and it was done. thank you gentlemen. hopefully putting it in wont be a problem. :naughty: lol

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^yep, because most wheel nuts are closed and therefore unusable to seat the new stud...

I have used wheel spacers for this before...

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
alright, got it seated...i think. i just torqued it until the backside was flush with the hub. so i'll drive a bit and recheck.

another question (not that important) is, doesn't the method of using the nut to set it add unnecessary lateral stress in the bolt for future use? or do we just assume that the stress is still within the elastic deformation range?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
No. the stress is basically not there. How you ask? Because it isnt seated to the back side of the hub yet, so the stud is actually moving which isnt causing much stress against. NOW, once it is seated if you continued to torque it down PAST the studs torque rating (if it has that?) then yes, it would be causing excess stress on it.