Rear Speakers... Which ones to buy/where to buy????

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
:1zhelp: Hey everyone, I need to buy some rear speakers for my 87 Supra and I need to buy some good quality speakers and not some that will last a few months.

The thing I would like to is

-where can I find some speakers that are a direct fit and sound just as good as the OEM sepakers(but not busted lol:naughty:)?

Please :1zhelp: me out.

Thanks again everyone.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I was just about to make this same post! I want to replace ALL myt speakers and the amp, so Im interested in some options too.. :) I think it would help if you post a price range. Speakers can cost from 20.00ea to 500.00 ea.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
^ I dont really know yet how much I want to pay. Maybe like anywhere from$80-$150 but I think Im going to use some 6x9's Infinity's in the back and make the box bigger.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
6x9s in the rear's gonna require some decent customization. It's not impossible, but definitely call it work. If you're gonna do some customization, I'd recommend going with 6.5" speakers anyway (round speakers generally offer better sound quality and efficiency than ovals).

Unfortunately there really aren't many "direct fit" speakers for the rears out there any more... They're an off-sized speaker (5") that is more common in home audio applications than car audio.

4" speakers will fit with the screw holes lined up perfectly (or nearly), however they leave a gap around the top, so in order to maximize them you'd need to seal around them somehow.

5.25" speakers are another potential, however you'd need to grind a bit around the edges to fit them properly.

There are many good speakers out there... I'd advise each of you to go to a few electronics stores (along with a few dedicated audio stores) and listen to some speakers in the sizes of interest "blindly", meaning without looking at brand or price. Find what sounds good to you... If it's something out of your range, or that would require more than you can offer it (a decent amp, for example), move down the line until you find something that sounds good to you and suites your needs. Keep in mind, though, that the setup will sound different (maybe entirely) in your vehicle due to many factors... but if you get a good quality speaker, you can usually tune it to sound to your liking.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Plaaya, those Infinities would probably be pretty decent for rear fill, but the box will be a pain in the butt to modify. I say go for it if you're up for a bit of a challenge, at that price you can't go wrong. It'll certainly be unique as well (and I believe your front speaker setup is pretty unique as well if you're the one I'm thinking of) ;-)

JM, I didn't know Polk had 5" speakers in their dB series! You taught me something new :) I've been a fan of Polk Audio since the mid '90s... While they have become more "mainstream" over the last several years, they still produce quality stuff for decent prices... Honestly, I think you would be VERY happy with that pair of speakers!

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
yea, im lookin for somethin to put back there too :(

for the meantime, ive got some pioneer home speakers that had to have gaps filled in...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
when buying just remember, you are probably paying twice the price. ive had infinity in my car all around for 6 years or so great speakers, even better with an amp ( i used a stock 2000 tundra amp )

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
tlo86 said:
when buying just remember, you are probably paying twice the price. ive had infinity in my car all around for 6 years or so great speakers, even better with an amp ( i used a stock 2000 tundra amp )

I like infinity too. I just bought some 4x6 plate speakers from infinity and I will post up some pics when I get done with it :).

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I love my Infinity Reference 6 1/2"ers up front. I do have problem tho since the speaker pods sit so differently most of it is covered by the door panel and sometimes the cone's outer lining vibrates the door panels when they are reallying going fast.

I just gotta modifiy my door panels to fit some 1991-1992 speaker panels.

I also can't wait to wire in my Vintage 1988 Punch 45 :D

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
iv'e had infinity speakers in my car for about 3.5 years.....infinity goodness. i couldn't ask for more. for those of that are wondering...yes, they are that good.