Rear shock "stopper" part interchangability? (48341-14030 and 48341-14040

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Like many of us that go to change out our shocks I found my rear "stoppers" were in bad shape.

I looked up the parts on the wonderful Cygnus site and got 48341-14030 for my 89. The price on the site I really like to buy from is $44.54 for this part.

However, there is also a part for the 91-92 models. It is 48341-14040 and is a mere $23.42.

After searching SupraMania I found an old thread in which pi asked if these parts could be interchanged, but sadly no one confirmed or denied this.
(http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?24569-my-suspension-is-pissing-me-off)

Just curious if anyone has ever confirmed if these parts can be interchanged or not?

Update: After comparing the two bump stops the only difference appears to be a nice rubber baffle equipped on the cheaper 48341-14040 as opposed to the "cup" used on the older part number. See post #9 for images.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Yep, bump stops, I should have included that term. Used "stopper" only because that is what comes up in the online parts catalog. Toyota naming fun!

I am replacing what appear to be the original shocks with Tokico Illumina IIs for TEMS usage and that as OEM as possible feel.

Went to the store to check out the KYB bump stops, but the shape was very different from the stock ones I removed and the center hole was about half the size. I have read posts where TEMS users have had issues with them, so I plan to get the Toyota parts.

Cool write up on the removal and installation, lots of great pics : )
Hate that trim piece around the tower...I ended up removing the entire rear interior out of fear of damaging it or the actuators :p

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yeah, the KYBs are certainly a different looking stop. The KYB bumps fit REALLY tight on the shock piston.

And yeah... that damn rear trim. Very difficult to get those rears out without TEMS. I'm sure TEMS makes it even worse.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
The definition of irony might be that the original Toyota shocks I pulled off the car were stamped KYB...

DSC02795.jpg

And in regards to that trim piece, here is the fallout, good thing my wife is very understanding : )

DSC02798.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Parts on the bed?! Oh shit. My wife's pretty cool, but I think I'd get a few swift punches to the shoulder if I did that!

Yeah KYB is the choice supplier for most the suspension stuff, but that OEM bumper is quite unique. Not sure who they sourced that out to or if it's an in house made item.

The KYB shock mounts are the same as OEM and quite a bit cheaper.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Happily that is the spare bed. No guests for the next week or so :p

Thanks for the tip on the mounts, mine looked almost new so I was going to reuse them. (Unless this is something that wears invisibly and you think I should replace them.)

I bit the bullet this morning and ordered the Toyota bumpers for a wallet crushing $90 after a 33% discount. I also ordered one part 48341-14040 so I can make comparisons and see if us pre 91 owners can enjoy $20 bump stops or not. Pics once the parts arrive and if there are other comparison tests to do with these parts please let me know!

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The mounts are probably fine. I replaced mine because the originals had 335k miles on them and I had a groan that I suspected to be related to the mounts. Turns out my groan was from old differential fluid though so I can't really say if the mounts can wear out without looking horrible.

Good luck with the bump stops! Let's hope the cheaper ones work and you can return the outrageously priced other ones! ;)

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Ok, so I got the bump stops today!

Here are some comparison pictures:

Side by Side.jpg

Top Down.jpg

In these images the 91-92 part 48341-14040 is on the left and the 86.5-90 part 48341-14030 is on the right.

The 86.5-90 part just has that little cup, but the 91-92 has a nice rubber baffle!
Otherwise, the bump stop appears the same on both parts.

Good.jpg

I put them on top of each other to show the diameters are the same for this shot.
Both bump stops display a symbol that looks like a triangle followed by a 17.

I measured both parts and the outer diameter was between 70 and 71mm on each.
The center hole measured 19mm on each.
The exposed bump stop height was 50mm on each.
The inner lip and two hollows inside the holes were also in the same positions and of the same size on each part.

From comparing them I see no visual difference in the bump stops at all.
The only difference in the parts appears to be the very nice rubber baffle on the 91-92 48341-14040.

I now wish I had bought two of the newer ones : (

I will be installing these tomorrow, so if there are other comparisons requested please let me know and if I can do them I will.

Oh, if anyone knows how to rotate the pictures please let me know how and I will fix them!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I ended up gambling a few years back and went for the 91-92's at half the price. They have worked great for me on my 90. Good to see the comparison, makes me feel even better about going with the later ones.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
How is this for irony?

As far as I am concerned the rear bump stops we have been talking about should have been superceded to the newer part number of 48341-14040. The rubber baffle is awesome and the bump stop itself appears no different.

In the case of the bump stops for the front of the car they did supercede the original part number of 48331-14060 to the newer 48331-14070...

At first glance, this looks nice, as it has a longer cover for keeping trouble away from the piston of the shock:
Front Side By Side.jpg
Left is 48331-14070, right is the older 48331-14060.

However, the hole in the center is only 16mm instead of the expected 19mm:
Front Close Top Down.jpg
It is hard to tell the difference in the pic, sorry!
(I should have raised the older part so that the holes were the same distance from the camera.)

After about 30 minutes of trying to get the bump stop to slide down the piston I gave up and cleaned up my originals to reuse. Happily they were in excellent nick, completely unlike the rears.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Hmm, I had tried a bit of lubrication to no avail. These things were just too tight... I was worried I might break something if I kept at it when I gave up and went back to the originals.

Both versions of the new rears were perfect and slid right on, not sure why they small holed the fronts :(