Rear passenger wheel sticks out further than the rear driverside??????????

Black87mte

Mar 3, 2009
LA
I put on some 18x10 +25 275/35-18 on 87 Supra. The rear passenger wheel sticks out further than the rear driverside by atleast an inch. Is there any sort of adjustment to correct this? Does anyone have the slightest clue what could fix this?

I am going to drive this car to the gun range and blow it up if I can't find a solution!

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
also check inside both rims, sometimes when people run spacers they get stuck or welded to the inside of the rim due to heat and water etc.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
A friend of mine has the same issue (3/4") with his FD. He took it to an alignment shop and couldn't figure it out also.... You might have to blow it up...lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Compton74;1842208 said:
also check inside both rims, sometimes when people run spacers they get stuck or welded to the inside of the rim due to heat and water etc.
Had this happen with the aluminum hub centering rings for the Mk2... put the old P-type wheels back on it for a while, and when I removed the P-types to put the Konigs back on, I noticed one wheel only had a few threads of each nut holding the wheel on (since the P-type wheels are hub centric already), the hub ring was acting as a spacer of sorts.

Take your wheels off, start inspecting them, particularly the hubs and the inside mating surface of the wheels.

hvyman;1842227 said:
Has the car been in an accident?
This is something else to note. My car got T-boned a long time before I owned it, and the roof brackets to hold the targa don't line up properly. Scratched the top of the roof panel trying to use the brackets. That's when I realized something was seriously wrong with the car... Lesson learned? Check your carfax. ;)

On your car, if it were to have been hit on the back side, there might be damage to the wheel wells, or possibly to the rear of the door jambs. Start there, see what you find. They should be all really smooth, with no evidence of repair. :)

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
check the rear subframe bushings and bolts. sounds like the rear subframe has shifted.

also are all 4 rims the same? amlost sounds like you got 2 diff rims on the rear.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Had the same issues and although alignment always was good. I even upgraded to the ST Polyurethane suspension bushings and still rubbed the tire often and it just pissed me off. Anyways, I replaced the rear-subframe bushings and all went to "how it's supposed to be." Good luck!

Black87mte

Mar 3, 2009
LA
It's not the rims they were brand new in box. I swapped sides and the passenger rear still sticks out further. From visual inspection nothing is bent, the adjustment (camber? I think) where the A arm connects may be slightly different but not near enough to matter. I'm starting to think the quarter panel was replaced and painted over leaving the fender half an inch short.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Just take it to the gun range and put about 20 pounds of binary explosive targets next to whatever wheel is sticking out too far, then set the stuff off with your rifle. That should knock it back into spec.