Rear Hatch Glass Replacement Questions

LaurentD

Sep 20, 2010
Montreal, Qc
Today, I broke my rear glass, working on the car... :3d_frown:
I will try to get a quote for a new glass tomorrow, but I have already found a full hatch with a good glass for cheap, so chances are I will go that way. I have read in another thread that I am better off getting the job done by a glass shop, wich I will probably do. The thing is that I don't trust anybody to work on my supra, so I would still like to know how it is supposed to be done, so that I can check the glass shop are doing it right.

I have removed all the glass, but there still is a lot (1/16" to 1/8" thick) of urethane on the hatch pannel. Should I remove it myself (being extra careful no to scratch the paint too much) or should I leave it to the shop? If the paint gets scratched, is it ok for the glass shop simply to put a thin coat of urethane in the lid over the scratches? Or, am I better removing it all myself, sanding the paint, and putting por15 over it. In other words, how do I get this car to live rustless for another 20 years?

In the TSRM, they show how to install the dam kit. I didn't seem to see it on the glass I removed, which I thought was original. Does the dam go above the glass or beneath it. I guess it gets hidden underneath the mouldings, right? Also, are glass shops used to those kind of dams, are they common on other vehicles, or should I install it myself. Does any double-stick do the job.

Lastly, there seemed to be a very thick layer of rubber holding the hatch glass (like 3/16"). Is that all urethane, or do i need to get a special seal or wathever. I hope that with their sophisticated machines, the glass shop will be able to put the glass dead center, so that installing the moldings will be easy.

Sorry for having so many questions, but I do like to understand :biglaugh:

Thanks in advance for any replies!

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
Most decent glass shops will protect the area they are working in. I would let them install the glass. If something goes wrong, they are on the hook for it.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
I agree with letting the glass guys do it if the hatch is sound otherwise. Only thing I would advise is be careful of the side mouldings as they are not reusable pieces. I had my windshield replaced years ago and the trim has never been the same. I think the guy broke every clip on the car and just buried the tabs in the silicone to fix it. : /

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
What I did when I had to replace the original windshield on my Supra was I went to my local Toyota dealership and asked them where they send their cars for windshield replacements and I went to that palce which the dealership said (Broco Autoglass in my case). Try that, usually they will do a very good job. The job that was done on my windshield was outstanding and very well done. My friend, GrimJack on SupraMania, even took his car there for a new glass. Try doing that, they'll do a much better job because that's their profession.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There is a great thread on glass replacement in Off Topic posted by Jeff Lange, you would do well to read through it to get an idea of what all is involved in such a job. :)

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
fwiw I wouldn't bother with a new one. I'd find another hatch with good glass and trim. I could only imagine the nightmare replacing that hatch glass and old trim, not to mention pricing a new hatch glass itself.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Canuckrz;1871229 said:
fwiw I wouldn't bother with a new one. I'd find another hatch with good glass and trim. I could only imagine the nightmare replacing that hatch glass and old trim, not to mention pricing a new hatch glass itself.

I lean this way too if you have access to a good one. As mentioned earlier the two trim pieces that run up the sides of the glass are not designed to be used twice. You just cut them out and glue in new ones. That could be more of a pain than the glass.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Hatch glass AND defogger element. New ones work right used make it less than perfect.

If you go glass intall STOP removing stuff and just take it there.

Hatch color match ?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
If it were me Id bring to someone experienced, not taking anything from you but I'd hate to chance it IF you dont what your doing....Just saying.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
A glass shop should have non metallic scrapers to protect from scratching .
+1 on the hatch change though, Thats how I got my spoiler.

LaurentD

Sep 20, 2010
Montreal, Qc
I found a used hatch glass from an 87 at a local Junkyard. It needs to be cleaned up, but there doesn't seem to be any scratches on the window. I will need to test the defogger as well. I also ordered some new clips, an adhesive dam, and both side trim pieces from the dealer so that everything is top notch. Replacing the whole hatch isn't really an option, since my current hatch is in perfect condition, and color-matching on 24 y/o paint is nearly impossible.

Most importantly, I found a reputable shop in my area to install the glass, once I receive all my parts from the dealer. Also, while looking at the EPC, I noticed that my car doesn't seem to have the #2 and #3 Cushion, Back Door Stopper (67272a & 67282e). I ordered those as well, but I couldn't even figure in what holes or where they are supposed to go ??

Thanks for your help so far!