Really BIG PROBLEM with my 96 Corolla!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hi, I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6 liter Single over head cam automatic. I decided to install a Protach Tachometer in the car for safety reasons for when I travel through the grapevine. We hooked up the green wire to the disbutor, The red wire is hooked up to the radio acessory fuse and we grounded the Tach wire with the aftermarket alarm wire and everything worked. However the Illumination wire for the tach was not hooked up so, we looked at the kick panel fuses and checked to see if you could install it with the cluster fuse. We first attached it to the wrong fuse by accident which was the ignition fuse and the tach light stood on. we attached it to another fuse which did absolutely nothing. Then we finally got the right fuse and it worked when I turned the lights on. When it came to start up the car it cranks but it does not start we checked all fuses in the kick panel and engine bay. We are not sure about the relays. Any ideas on what happened?
If any has any ideas to get me on the right track I would much appreciate it I need the car by Tuesday for work my Supra is under constuction and now my beater took a dive..... Please no comments saying that I am retarded or something because I didn't do the work.... I am just relaying the message.

Thanks guys!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
honestabe;1400957 said:
Uninstall the tach from what you tapped into for power and see if the car starts.

Uninstalled it nothing happened it still cranks but doesnt start. we checked for spark and we dont have any.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Zumtizzle;1400967 said:
blown coil?

blown ecu?

We are thinking blown blown coil. we have to take it off and I am in the process now of finding how to take the coil off itself no the whole thing because I don't wanna retime it.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
That distributor is super easy to work with. No timing adjustments at all (no adj. slot, just a hole), so don't shy away form removing it. There's also a slot in the cam for lining up, so no gears to deal with! Very fool-proof design, just don't force it in. It should slide in nicely.
Good luck!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
toyotanos;1402884 said:
That distributor is super easy to work with. No timing adjustments at all (no adj. slot, just a hole), so don't shy away form removing it. There's also a slot in the cam for lining up, so no gears to deal with! Very fool-proof design, just don't force it in. It should slide in nicely.
Good luck!

Checked the Distributor and Coil they are both good it. It must be a relay or something to deal with spark. I don't know though. Changed the plugs, cap and rotor and nothing...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
So you have no spark then? If you don't know, check for it. If you tapped into the distributor wires with scotch-lock style connectors, make sure the vehicle's wire wasn't broken, and completely remove the tach from the vehicle. If it's already all the way out, check for injector pulse when cranking, when you get the dist. back in. The computer uses the same signals to fire the coil and injectors, so if you're not geting spark or fuel, you may be dealing with a signal generator circuit problem, which could be a broken wire. Just hope it's not an ECU, because those ones suck to remove or backprobe.