Really bad leak

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
So recently my stock clutch plate went bad and i upgraded to a stage 3 6-puck clutch with a new 1 piece driveshaft. I have been driving it for 5 days getting the new clutch broke in and i have started to develop a really bad oil leak. It is gearbox oil but im not exactly sure where its coming from. Im leaning towards output shaft seal or transfer case seal. It kind of started out from a tiny half dollar size spot to gradually make a massive puddle. It drops from 2 spots on the bell housing, about 3 drops a minute. One is significantly faster than the other.

I have attached some pics, one you can see the drip about to fall and the massive puddle that has formed in 6 hours.

p1850476_1.jpg

p1850476_2.jpg

p1850476_3.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Hard to see with those pics and my phone.

Can you see drips out of the tail shaft seal by the drive shaft? That one is cheap and easy to replace.

If this just started I doubt it's the case but rather something around the case.

What all did you remove off the transmission when you replaced the clutch?

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
hvyman;1850478 said:
Hard to see with those pics and my phone.

Can you see drips out of the tail shaft seal by the drive shaft? That one is cheap and easy to replace.

If this just started I doubt it's the case but rather something around the case.

What all did you remove off the transmission when you replaced the clutch?

Yea its hard for me to exactly tell where its coming from, need to get it up on a lift tomarrow when its daylight. But at the rate its dripping i doubt i could drive it anywhere...
I had my mech install the clutch. Seemed kind of rushed for what was needed to be done. Maybe a lack in attention to detail. But he shouldnt of done anything other than drop the downpipe, remove the driveshaft, open the case, installed new clutch, and re-assemble.

Would the new 1piece driveshaft have caused any type of new vibrations or seal failures? Theres oil all over the place but the majority of it seems to be atleast 4-6 inches further up where the driveshaft yolk connects.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
when i installed a clutch (i mean new engine swap) placed back the old driveshaft on and the seal was bad,prob a one time use. replaced and no more leaks