!Really! Bad idle after rebuild (new hg) *Update*

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
*Update* See last Post...

Before, with the bhg the idle was fine. Now i´ve got everything back together and the engine almost dies in idle before the ecu comes to the rescue.

Been driving the car a little bit and apart from the bad idle everything seems fine. No misfires, boost is also good.

uploaded a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6Wlda86Oc

so far i´ve replaced the coil pack and checked all the hoses for leaks. any idea what this could be?

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Have you checked all the vacum lines?

My car did this after i changed my head gasket and it turns out i had a big vac leak. Reason for saying asking what i did.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Persona;1419369 said:
just checked. seems that all is connected properly. would have been too good to be true :1zhelp:

I would just keep looking at all the all simple stuff make sure everything is bolted tight and connected maybe yo will find something or just wait until some one can come up with something for you.

Good luck man

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
check all gaskets, mainly around intake manifold. spray some carb cleaner around the gasket areas. Looking for a leak. mine did it after my rebuild. found it on the lower intake manifold. I must of skipped a bolt when tightening everything up.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Persona;1420640 said:
timing and isc are 100%

guess I´ll take the intake side apart once again and have a look.

thats exactly what I thought too when I did my HG job.. turns out after checking it for the 3rd time it wasnt so perfect after all. valve timing was off, but it still ran.

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
craptastic update:

now I replaced both gaskets from the intake runner and the problem got much worse.

after start up engine rattles and shakes and goes out after 2 seconds or so. sometimes can hear a hissing sound. wonder what I messed up now :(

PS: Removing the gasket from the head was a real pita. Somebody glued it on there.

will upload a video the next few days!

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Someone glued them on or they were overtorqued and/or heated up too much and/or old. If they were that much of a bear to get off, did you clean everything off properly? You need to make sure there is NO remnants of gasket left before you put a new one on or it WILL leak. It's a pain sometimes (my throttle body gasket was HORRIBLE), but it needs to be done. I even went to the length of getting high grit (450 wet/dry) sandpaper to get rid of anything I could see on the surface.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
mine did the same thing, turns out i hooked up two vacuum lines wrong, the were around the rear side of the intake manifold, maybe get a diagram or another supra close by and make sure they are all hooked up right, very easy to mix em up sometimes