re torque the head? or change the HG?...that is the quetion!!!!

Aribenbarak

May 21, 2012
Guatemala
Hi guys,I am the happy owner of a 7mgte 135psi in each cyl. but I know all the issues with 7mgte BHG,I live in Central america and to be honest, do not thrust the mecanichs here (or do not know a good one) my Q is this, my engine is very good 102k milles on it, but can i re torque the original head with original bolts? or what are my options before I do it? I do not want to go to MHG, I love this car,and I want to keep it for along time,I was thinking,in the future chnging head(clearwater from florida), felpro o toyota original HG,arp's, and milds mods (you know the usual) 3"DP, 10psi of boost, etc. Right know I want to enyjoy my baby (actualy my wife call her Christine) LOL. and do not want to spend along time in the repair shop, instead, I rather be driving it, so any"supra petrol head" will help me? or do I need to change the bloody HG and get over with it?
Thank you very much for your help.

Ari.:naughty:

"yeah I can have a faster car, but It will never be like Christine".

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
pretty easy to do... all you should need is normal tools to get the valve covers off (#3 phillips screwdriver, 10mm and 12mm sockets, an extension + ratchet) head bolts require a 10mm hex socket

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
AbsoluteSpeed;1919396 said:
Retorque the head. Crack them loose (in sequence) then retorque to 72 ft/lbs.
You never crack head bolts to retorque them. If you do youve just created more problems.

To the OP. Just torque the bolts down in order as if your putting them in for the first time. 18flbs 1st pass, 36 2nd pass, 54 3rd pass, and 72 on the final pass. This will tell you if any of them were loose.

Aribenbarak

May 21, 2012
Guatemala
Thank you all for the info,just,call me dumb but i do not get it,lets say the bolts are at 52lbs I torque down to what lbs.? and then up againg? please can you clarify this?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you don't crack the bolts, you can't get an accurate torque reading. It has to turn in order to get accurate torque. If you can just tighten them, that's fine, but if it's still holding, you probably won't be able to. (Though you might with some bolts.)

If you were to replace the bolts one at a time, you might not harm anything, but I wouldn't risk it. The stock bolts are good to 72 ft-lbs, and at that torque, on a factory head gasket, they have been known to hold a good amount of power. Mine lasted for several hundreds of thousands of kilometers (More than 2 timing belts) in my 7M-GE.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Maple191;1919506 said:
You never crack head bolts to retorque them. If you do youve just created more problems.

To the OP. Just torque the bolts down in order as if your putting them in for the first time. 18flbs 1st pass, 36 2nd pass, 54 3rd pass, and 72 on the final pass. This will tell you if any of them were loose.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?50426-Head-bolt-retorque
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?43327-Tightening-head-bolts

and thanks for explaining it further Dan