RAWRAW fight the powa

SRZMK3

police pulled me over today tried to say my muffler was too loud and defective i told the officer that my car is 25 years old and i am exempt from all muffler emissions and exhaust noise ordinances because of that, officer went to his car for about to minutes and came back he said thank you and handed my liscence registration and insurance back then he left.. i win :D

i have a 1986.5 but the 1987 is now also a 25 year old car

http://law.justia.com/codes/washington/2005/title46/46.37.390.html

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

Rich64N

Oct 28, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Thanks for the info, I'll post over on CelicaSupra (82-86) - several have had issues with this over the past couple of years. I know "Toyota Tim" (75 Corolla owner at about 300 HP) keeps a printout of the rules for his old-style plates because the cops don't know (you can have 2 cars with the same plates if over 30 years! So only one plate required per vehicle provided they are about the same age = no front plate required). My 82 is getting green on white plates when due in March (30 years) - I've been hunting them down for the past couple of years. I know where some nice 86 plates are too (last seen a year ago, probably still there in an antique mall).

So I'd recommend folks print out the rules and put it in the glove compartment to assist law enforcement (cough, avoid having to go to court and prove the cop wrong = PITA). Just don't be a jerk to the cops - they probably don't know about this loophole, and if you are a jerk, they'll find something else to ticket you on.

SRZMK3

wasnt being a dick i was only being informative.. i think he was a little mad that i was able to waste his time that quickly, oh well we are always learning new things. and besides my version of the supra was JUST in the range of exemptions so maybe common mistake since my car does look newer than it actually is...

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Oregon basically has the same laws, and its even worse when your in other states, try telling a cali state judge that hes wrong about laws cause they guy hes talking to is military and dosnt have to fallow ALL the state laws that he/she is stationed in..

i think we should maybe try to ge a section together of laws maybe that just might help us out.