Rattling/Tapping sound coming from engine/tranny connection..

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
The Supra:
1990 N/A Automatic
10k on rebuild.

A little history:
I started hearing a rattling sound coming from the back of the engine.
I glanced around but figured it was my exhaust heat shields.
Over the next week, the sound got more and more worse.

Now for the odd part:
Only rattles at rpm's lower than 1000-1500.
The second I idle the car up (no matter how much over 1500) the rattling stops completely.
The rattling sound doesn't occur all the time. Sometimes it will begin when I start the engine, sometimes it won't happen at all.

I put the Supra on jack stands and got under. I checked, double checked, and triple check the exhaust, exhaust heat shield, muffler, glasspack, and cat. Conclusion: It's not the exhaust.

I then used a stethoscope and found the noise was coming from between the auto tranny and engine (I stuffed it into the little air(?) hole and the sound was horrendous sounding).

I took off the tranny cover plate (the plate that covers the lower front transmission and gives access to drive plate/torque converter). I check the T.C. bolts that connect the drive plate. One was really loose, so I tightened it up and checked the rest. It still rattled. There was no debris/bolts lying in the area around T.C./Drive plate.

I don't believe it could be the drive plate connection to the engine, because there are like 8 bolts spaced very closely together. Too close, imo, to allow it to move.

I tried moving the drive plate (without turning engine) but could not.

On Saturday, I'm going to Cuel's shop to put the car on a lift and let him take a look, but I would prefer if I could fix it without having to take up Cuel's time.

Sorry about the long post, but any help given would be greatly appreciated!

Cliff Notes: Rattling sound coming from engine/tranny connection. Not exhaust. Not rod knock. Could not find anything wrong with torque converter or drive plate. Auto Tranny.

Last edited:

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
KpSupra;1274575 said:
Mine does this also, but only after it heats up. It did not start doing it until I installed a new Spec clutch.

Hmm..I haven't done any engine/tranny work (heck, what can you even do with an automatic:3d_frown:)..

So what is in or around the tranny, that can rattle/tap/move around cold or hot..or in your case, heats up and becomes movable..?