Rattling BAD!!

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
So my car has been rattling in the rear passenger wheel for some time now but it seems to be getting louder and louder. Now the rear driver side is rattling too. I've checked all the stuff that is right there in front of me after I took the wheels off but there isn't any play in anything and this rattle is really bugging me. It's not the interior or the hatch because I've tightened up all of that. The car has 222,000 miles on it so is there anything that is notorious for Supras doing this? I was thinking body bushings but that doesn't make a lot of sense because it is rattling all the time. Not just when I go over a bump but even on smooth road. It's really killin' me. Any ideas? Anything helps!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How are your shocks?

Bad shocks will rattle like a mofo. If there stock they NEED replacing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Retorque subfame fasteners (supposed to be done every 50K miles but most cars are never done), and the shock top mounts could be bad, that will cause a rattle as well.

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
Shocks are Tokicos with 5,000 on them. What is the torque for the rear subframe fasteners? What are the top shock mounts? That rubber that meets the top of the shock?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Poodles;1554165 said:
..., and the shock top mounts could be bad, that will cause a rattle as well.

I was thinking the same thing.
Take off your rear speaker covers, and you'll see the three top strut assembly nuts. Make sure they're tight.

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
The shock top mounts are very tight now and the rattle is still there. Nothing below the wood is loose as I tightened everything up and the hatch isn't loose either. What is supposed to be the torque for the subframe connectors? Any other ideas? This is driving me crazy!!

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Take it to the nearest shop with a lift and put it in gear. You'll be able to pin point where it's coming from...That's What I would Do.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
check your brake calipers? recently the one on the front passenger side on my car became pretty loose by itself and was makin all kinds of noises even on smooth road.

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
Where can I get new shock top mounts? I don't this is it because it had the same rattle before I put the new shocks on. I'll retorque the subframe connectors and check out the brakes next. Any other ideas?