Raptor Racing vs Tanabe Medalion Touring

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Now Raptor Racing is my #1 choice for an exhaust, but i just recently found a tanabe medalion touring for under 500 shipped. Well for the price i started to think about it... I've read it is quiet and thats what im looking for, i dont want a fart cannon like i had before. So what im asking is what is your opinion on the tanabe? Hows the fitment?

On a side note, i wish i wouldve bought the raptor exhaust during the group buy wouldve saved money if i did. :<

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I bought the Tanabe for just under 600 shipped and had to wait a month for it to be sent from Japan. Damn Amazon for lowering their prices right after. Anyway the exhaust is beautiful and it goes up like a breeze but it was alot heavier then the homemade one the PO installed. The main reason why i bought it was because it was suppose to be one of the quietest ones out. Unfortunately i havent driven the car so i cant tell you first hand about the sound. However, numerous people have commented on how much they love their RR exhaust so i don't think you can go wrong either way.

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
This past summer I sold my Raptor Racing exhaust and replaced it with the Tanabe Touring exhaust. I agree that the single exit muffler doesn't look great on the MKIII but I will never regret the decision to switch. The Raptor exhaust was obnoxiously loud and droney while driving - with the Tanabe I don't notice any added lag (boosting 14psi 57trim) than with the Raptor and, the main reason I switched, it's just about as quiet as a stock exhaust...

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
That's what everyone told me - I suppose I might've just had a dud of a muffler (I didn't buy it brand-new maybe the P.O. buggered up the muffler) since everyone here says the Raptor Racing exhaust is so quiet - I just know when I'd turn down my girlfriend's street from about 1/4 mile away she'd know I was coming... and then complain non stop about how loud my car was...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
How much is the Raptor Racing one? If the two are close in price then I'd get the Tanabe. Exhausts are weird, well maybe a few. I have the Apexi N1 and from what everyone says it's loud, fart can. But I can say that it's one of the best exhaust i've heard/own. It's actually more quiet with a divorce DP and test pipe than a stock 7mgte with the greddy sp. LOL I'll try to get a vid soon. It's also less loud compare to the HKS silence. Anyway, oh yea the Tanabe muffler looks way better than the greddy SP btw :D

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
This is an issue I am currently facing- keep my tanabe hyper medallion (earlier version of the touring) or go with a 3.5/4" exhaust for the power gains (yes I'm at that point). Another option would be to install a cutout for power/noise when I want it, but who knows what I'll do!

I personally love the sound of the Tanabe. Super clean and low-key at idle and docile driving, but when you open it up !!<3!!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
any videos of your tanabe? and pics of how it looks, im not sure how i feel about the large oval and single tip canister.

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
I did the following :
Put a raptor racing downpipe,cat, and muffler. I did not bought the catback...simply the muffler. I put a magnaflow muffler instead of the resonator so i have 2 mufler (straight muffler, so not really more restriction than a resonator). The inline muffler is like the magnalflow #11219(i would need to make sure its the correct one). The sound is just perfect and the frequency is really low. I had a muffler company made the piping to connect those parts. There is not so much piping between the cat and resonator and between res and muffler. Only 2 bend pipe.
It may not been as clean to look than a complete catback, but this is what i was looking for, great sound without high frequency...It was more important to me than a cleaner look.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Here are 2 quick phots of the Tanabe exhaust.

Attachments

• 2-890AEE95-586448-800.jpg
    2-890AEE95-586448-800.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2-1DB83B6F-548876-800.jpg
    2-1DB83B6F-548876-800.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 50

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
wow even for being a quiet exhuast it sounds amazing at wot. Toyotanos do u have any GOOD pics of the fitment of your exhuast. Pretty much the only thing im looking for now to make my decision.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The best I have, right after I bought the car- I later got an adjustable test pipe so I could fix the slight tilt- after that it was good stuff! Sits nice and tight against the bumper/valance. Can't find any other vids of the exhaust- someone else may have one but I don't know about it :p

p1795082_1.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If your in a JZ, don't worry about being quiet. Trust me. A 1JZ at 8000 is pure bliss, never heard a 2JZ at that level in person or in car but it will be darn close....get the raptor dual tips setup.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If you are judging the fart can on being loud, it really isn't if you don't get on it. It was loud on your car since you were N/A which makes all exhausts intended for turbo cars sound louder than they are.

Last edited: