Randomly stalls at idle and at drive

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Initially it would die for no reason once every month or so. Now it's every 10 min. First the check engine check light would turn on then the engine dies. It doesn't matter if it's in idle or neutral. The engine code is 14 and ECT code is 61 (which is probably unrelated). Voltage is good, new alternator, new battery, dashpot, CPS seems in one piece, grounds are tight, boosts fine.

Any ideas?

zomgsupra

Nov 6, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I had the same problem with random stalls and loping idle at times. I never checked my codes however.. Easily enough, I bought some carb cleaner and went to town inside the throttle body with a denture brush. This fixed my problem completely. (there was a lot of gunk in there)

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
what are your mods... check the valve behind iscv make sure it is not broken or torn. it allows air in to the manifold and not back out.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
14? Ignition Signal: No IGF signal to ECU.

Ignition and ignition coil circuit Not communicating with ECU
Igniter and ignition coil Not communicating with ECU

I read somewhere else that this problem exists under 3000RPM So it'll run when you rev it but otherwise it'll die.

"Rot: gradually then suddenly"

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

61 I'm not sure but is your car an automatic?

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
It's all stock, auto, turbo.

I cleaned the throttle body, it was already clean, but I cleaned it regardless. The orange, white and black valve isn't broken, but I put my spare one on and that didn't fix anything.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
no, no, Sorry I looked as if I was questioning myself. Code 14 means you have a problem with your igniter most likely. I think it's the silver beveled box attached on the drivers side inner fender/shock tower. Is that right?

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

and to add that 61 ECT code has something to do with an issue with the automatic transmission, Torque converter? That why I thought I'd make sure you had an auto first.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This likely isn't your problem, but I'll mention it in case this thread is found by future searches.

My random stalling issue was CPS internals on their way out. Swapping in a different CPS fixed the issue entirely. Unfortunately, I'd just spent a lot of time replacing all the seals on the old CPS, so now I'm back to an ugly CPS that leaks. :(

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Now it's only dying at a stop, so I remedy that by shifting into neutral, then you feel the car wanting to cut out. If I don't put it in neutral it'll die after a few seconds at idle.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Changed oily spark plugs, spark plug wires, #5 was popped off completely, redid the ground for the coil pack, one wire was exposed on the coil pack. That causes the car from not dying as fast, but it still wants to die after a few hours of driving.