Random Coolant Loss

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
I just finished putting my car back together after BHG, and i was driving it all day with no issues, there was some really high pitched whistle sound, but it went away after about 2k RPM and when i would shut the car off and start it back on.
My last stop of the day and i see a BIG white cloud coming out of my hood.
Seemed like an overheat, but my Temp was fine, i had lost just about all my coolant, and the smoke appeared to coming from the from (Clutch Fan, Radiator Area)
I let the car cool down a bit, filled the car back up with some coolant and let it burp a bit and then i just drove home easily and i looked for more smoke at stops and there was none present, and my Temp. never even got hot at all, and coolant seemed seem to have stayed.
I am just STUMPED, This happened once a long time ago before i BHG'd.
At first i thought i popped a hose or radiator, but it drove just fine on the way home, any ideas?

Thanks,
Jose

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
just an idea, but if you had an air bubble around the temp sensor the car would never read hot on the gauge. if it did have air and overheated alot of times the coolant will blow out of the overflow, look for coolant around that area to confirm

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
7mslider;1543080 said:
just an idea, but if you had an air bubble around the temp sensor the car would never read hot on the gauge. if it did have air and overheated alot of times the coolant will blow out of the overflow, look for coolant around that area to confirm

That's another thing, i didn't see any coolant spewing out of the overflow, the overflow was not even full when i inspected things.
Really confusing.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
that is kinda weird. i have had problems with bleeding the cooling system in mine before, but it normally spewed outa the overflow. the best way i have found to bleed the air out is to jack up the front end and add the coolant with the engine running and heater on full blast. on a fresh build i would try that, then see if the problem persists....just my opinion

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
if you didn't have the heater on when you topped it off, the heater core and lines going to it would not have any fluid in it and that would cause a good size air pocket. the best thing to do would be make sure you have all the air out, and then keep an eye on it for a while. i would doubt that it is mechanical. everything you have described would be consistant with air in the system

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Awesome, i knew it couldn't be anything mechanical cause i just basically replaced everything.
But if it was such an air pocket, where would the coolant have gotten out of?
I didn't seem to see any from the overflow unless it air dried after it happen rather quickly.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Nick M said:
If you saw a coolant cloud, it is leaking somewhere. You see nothing on the neck or the reservoior?

No. Unless it dried on the freeway when it happened? Idk when exactly it happened though, but my overflow looked fine.