Radiator fan clutch experts needed.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I am stumped on this one. My radiator fan seems like it is spinning to fast after the engine warms up making lots noise when the engine revs up. Sounds like a truck.

When I was running the stock radiator, I never had this problem. But then I switched to a CFS radiator and now a fluidine and the fan clutch sounds like its engauged all the time.

I figured my fan clutch was bad, so I borrowed an almost brand new one from my friend and now ITS DOING THE SAME THING. Iv'e read that the fan clutch is supposed to engauge at 180-200 degrees and run at 70% speed, but quickly disengauges as the air cools it down. Anyone else have or had this problem. Thanks.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
That's exactly what I was thinking. But the fluidine radiator I have on know is a little narrower and further away from the clutch.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I bought a new fan clutch and it went bad after only a week. The one you borrowed might be spotty as well. I'd try a third working one before I did anything else. I finally found a "good" one, and I have no more issues with it. There really isn't much to them, I'm thinking your replacement isn't 100% either.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Thanks for the suggestions. The fan clutch was used on my friends car for a short period of time before he went electric. He was also using a Fluidine radiator and said the fan worked perfectly when he had it on.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm out of ideas..

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If you've got it on the bench, heat the coil with a hot air gun and see if it rotates the control shaft attached to the coil. It doesn't move a whole lot, but if you mark it with a sharpie you should see some rotation.

This is just a simple test to show the shaft isn't frozen, there is still a lot of other things that can go wrong.

I had a similar issue after I rebuilt my fan clutch. Turned out I had too much oil in the clutch, so I drained some out and it now works properly.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Its a 10 blade fan on a GTE clutch.

I did some tests outside. According to my new meat thermometer:icon_bigg , the clutch is engauging at 150 degrees and releasing at about 140 degrees. The probe was about an inch or so in front of the clutch. So it seems that the clutch is working (although not sure its at the right temp.).Maybe the radiator is running to hot.

I'm runniing without a fan shroud right now, but it did do the same thing when I had my old fan and shroud on before. I wonder if the fan shroud would make that much difference in temperature that the coil sees?

Also Im running a high pressure radiator cap. I'm not sure if that makes the radiator run hotter?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
My bet is on the shroud. Without it, the amount of air that bypasses the radiator is very high, so the air that does come through will be hotter and will be localized to the center part of the air stream where the clutch is located.

By the way, your on/off temperatures seem low. My recollection is that the fan starts to engage at 170F and is fully engaged at 200F. You can recalibrate the clutch by pulling it apart and adjusting the position of the valve assembly.

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, I agree on both points. The clutch should be kicking in at around 165-170 , not 150.
And maybe the fan shroud will help. Anyone know who has the best prices on fan shrouds?