Rack and pinion

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Im looking for a new rack and pinion and found a used one that looks to be in good condition. I know that the 89 to 92 is different from the 86-88. I have an 88 and the donor car is an 88 but my question is whether there is a difference between the turbo and non turbo rack and pinion? I have a turbo model car and the donor car is a non turbo. The guy wants me to buy it before he takes it off the car so i can't go over to look at it to compare. Any help is appreciated.

WillieLZG

Feb 12, 2008
EL PASO TX
i picked up a rack and pinion a couple years back from Autozone. It's a rebuilt stock unit and there is a core charge that will be refunded once you take in your old unit. unless you already have it off then just go to the store with it in hand and hopefully they have one they had one when i went but had to pick it up from another store. If i remember correctly it wasn't that expensive and all the seals are new and has new boots kinda gives a better piece of mind then a used unit. Also make sure and take the tie rod ends off you will need them. Just checked the price $182 for the rebuilt unit from autozone and has a limited lifetime warranty

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
WillieLZG;1501340 said:
i picked up a rack and pinion a couple years back from Autozone. It's a rebuilt stock unit and there is a core charge that will be refunded once you take in your old unit. unless you already have it off then just go to the store with it in hand and hopefully they have one they had one when i went but had to pick it up from another store. If i remember correctly it wasn't that expensive and all the seals are new and has new boots kinda gives a better piece of mind then a used unit. Also make sure and take the tie rod ends off you will need them. Just checked the price $182 for the rebuilt unit from autozone and has a limited lifetime warranty
This does sound like a better option. Thanks

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Question: what is involved in putting a PPS system into an 86.5 - 88? My steering always seems twitchy and flighty whenever I drive a little more aggressively, like it wants to go in all directions at once. When I'm running at cruise it's as smooth as glass and tracks evenly without wander.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Drake69;1502709 said:
Question: what is involved in putting a PPS system into an 86.5 - 88? My steering always seems twitchy and flighty whenever I drive a little more aggressively, like it wants to go in all directions at once. When I'm running at cruise it's as smooth as glass and tracks evenly without wander.

You'd need a rack, pump and controller then wire it in and you're good to go.