Rack And Pinion info needed!

mk3_dude

Boost Master
May 10, 2005
Arkansas
My steering is half ass horrible. It has a half 360degre. steering turning radius play until response (mainly pass. side). I looked at my rack & pinion and my pass. side boot is all torn up and leaks some pwr steering fluid. I honestly dont know much about the steering stuff in what is the MAIN problem.

Should i get a whole new RACK and Pinion? I've already landed on a website who sells a OEM replacement rack for the quoted price of "$231.95" and core exchange "$50." How much do shops Charge for replacing my rack and pinion? I dont want to deal with it at all. Let me know you guys who have had the Rack and Pinion replaced before. Thanks

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm looking into this as well. Your price for the rack is about what I have seen. I was quoted $250 for installation, which included an alignment. When it comes to my safety, I'm not sure if I want to leave it up to my suspension inexperience.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
i'm about to do mine. looks simple enough. 4 bolts hold the rack on, tie rods ends need disconnected. then the steering column needs disconnected which looks a bit tough to get to.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I have replaced my steering rack. As far as I remember you HAVE to drop the front subframe a couple inches. While you are at it you should improve steering response over stock and get some poly rack bushings in there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not going to make a difference. Only difference is pps. Progressive power steering. Uses power at low speeds and no power at high speeds.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
SySt;493634 said:
I have replaced my steering rack. As far as I remember you HAVE to drop the front subframe a couple inches. While you are at it you should improve steering response over stock and get some poly rack bushings in there.

You don't have to drop the front subframe, not even a bit.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Progressive power steering was not a turbo vs. na change, it was a year change, beginning in 1989, iirc.
Turbo and na are the same .

Flaming river makes manual steering racks, and some people have put them in Supra's. may or may not require mods to the mounts. I recall that people were using some version of a mustang rack.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
supraguy@aol;1969132 said:
Progressive power steering was not a turbo vs. na change, it was a year change, beginning in 1989, iirc.
Turbo and na are the same .

Flaming river makes manual steering racks, and some people have put them in Supra's. may or may not require mods to the mounts. I recall that people were using some version of a mustang rack.

IIRC the problem with the flaming river rack is to do with the steering rack to steering shaft coupler. From the threads I have read, they say that the shaft coupler or the steering shaft needs to be modified which is a big No-No.

I just replaced my rack in my car, granted I had the engine out. It took all of an hour to do so and its pretty straight forward. 4 bolts, tie rods, steering shaft and lines will need to come off but its easy.