racing fuel?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
black89t;1299001 said:
does anyone run aircraft fuel? like from the local airport?

and just for fun what do you guys think about the octain booster or is that crap.

unless you get a bangin deal from the airport you are better off buying race gas.

octane booster is crap.

and people that keep pushing c16, why? it is overkill and overpriced imo

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
dbsupra90;1299009 said:
unless you get a bangin deal from the airport you are better off buying race gas.

octane booster is crap.

and people that keep pushing c16, why? it is overkill and overpriced imo

Overkill maybe but over priced i dunno. I bought some vp unleaded 103 a few weeks back(locally) $13 per gal. c-16 was $16 per gal.When i buy more ill get c-16 only because its a better deal price wise

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
dbsupra90;1298544 said:
mount a spacer on the dp or double up the 02 bung. this will keep the 02 sensor out of the direct exhaust stream and last much longer. it reads the same whether it is in direct flow or just open to the exhaust.

i've never been a huge supporter of meth/alch injection. i know some people are running it with great success. there is a risk of equipment failure, sure. but also trouble with not being equal in each cyl. so you may have 1 cyl getting a ton of meth, and 1 cyl getting almost none.

and as IJ said, if you run octane higher than required, you will actually make less power.

last year my car made 478rwhp on pump alone. and this year i am going back to get it tuned again and i want to push the car to its limits with running it on race gas and tuning it with my aem. that's why i was asking race gas or meth? money is no object

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Honestly, it's a matter of preference. On my car, I ran methanol. When I wanted to turn up the boost and still be safe, I put some 110 in the tank. It probably wasn't necessary, but it sure made me feel better.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
ChrisC;1298871 said:
running race gas and meth together would be pointless. With just running C16 you will have all the octane you need. Even if you lean out during tuning it will forgive as you get the optimum tune. You can loose power using such a high octane fuel but it will also allow you to run more timing in your map. which = more power. But in all how far do you want to push it before you run into knock?
Yes C16 gives enough octane, but wouldn't the EGT's and pistons be dramatically cooler with meth/water injection? Particularly if the original poster of this thread is running stock internals? (Not sure, just asking!)

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Turbo C16 is designed to be a slower burning fuel and to keep egt's down. I dont have much experiance with meth/water injection but im sure once they are tuned correctly they work very well. Personally, I like getting reassurance that I have all the octane needed when pushing big boost, no electronics to fail or hickup.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
sneakypete;1297735 said:
only problem running race gas all the time is if you are still using a cat. race fuel is leaded and will clog it
Theres unleaded race fuel all the way to 118 octane. VP sells it.

IJ.;1297744 said:
Still damn expensive here for the hardware but people are getting great results using it, it's at least 104 octane and you can make great power if tuned correctly.
LPG is usually anywhere from 120-140 octane.

northwestsupra;1298082 said:
i want race gas :( doesnt vp sell it? or anyone have a better place to get it
VP is one of the major companies that sells it and you can get a better deal.

You will always make more power the lower the octane. I would suggest a pump/race mixture or meth, but as far as meth goes, I wouldnt use it all the time, only for those 25-30psi runs. Meth leaves a residue, and water isnt good for an engine over an extended period of time. The water silences knock but it can also create issues like fake knock making you think its knocking or detonating but its really not. Even c16 race gas leaves a residue though.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
black89t;1299001 said:
does anyone run aircraft fuel? like from the local airport?

and just for fun what do you guys think about the octain booster or is that crap.

Aircraft fuel is equivalent to c16. Octane booster at its highest point ive seen (its supposively illegal for dot.) is only four to five points. Meaning it will raise 92 octane to 98-99 (as its advertised ive never heard any scientific reviews)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You will only make more power with higher octane if the motor is tuned to take advantage of it...i.e. higher boost and increased timing. Same for water/meth injection.

"Silencing knock" is a misperception. Higher octane and meth works by lowering cylinder combustion temps which, in turn, decreases the chance of detonation at the same compression. This is what allows you to increase boost/timing back to the detonation threshold point. Increased boost/timing is where the increased power is coming from, not from the "race gas" per say.

This kind of tuning should never be done on the street. On the dyno with a set of "ears" to listen where the detonation threshold occurs...that is now your limit. The street tune is done after, staying below that limit. This is pretty advanced for most guys...increasing octane or using meth and then cranking the boost is asking to blow the motor. The 2nd danger is tuning for race gas then using pump gas on the street...your safety margin is radically decreased, resulting in a very likely change of detonation under boost. All it takes is a little bit of a lead foot and BOOM.

As stated earlier, using high octane gas on a motor a the stock ECU will result in lower power output. High octane gas contains less BTUs than pump gas.

Of course, all this depends on what EMS one is running ;)

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
i have an aem ems to tune everything with. pretty much my quistion is thes year my car is going back to the shop to get tuned i want to make some extra hp what is better to run meth or race gas or both and money like stated above is no object because if i tune it with race gas then i will run the car strickly on race gas or what ever i end up using

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo?
Injectors?
Boost?
Exhaust?
Trans?
Headwork?
Cams?
IC?

It's not a simple question to answer as all of the above has an effect, there will be a point where Octane isn't the only answer and something else will flatline it.

You run enough Octane to keep it out of detonation and no more or you're just throwing power away.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Fuzz420;1299059 said:
Overkill maybe but over priced i dunno. I bought some vp unleaded 103 a few weeks back(locally) $13 per gal. c-16 was $16 per gal.When i buy more ill get c-16 only because its a better deal price wise

i buy 110 from jacobi's for $5.50/g this was last year, not sure if the price has gone down or stayed the same.

also, the unleaded stuff is always more expensive than the leaded.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
e-85 would be my vote. although a dedicated tune is needed with the fuel flow to back it up.

Stepping above pump gas makes a piggy back a weak tuning device. Like jdub said, the WHOLE power band needs to be tunned for it. Standalone or leave it alone with pump gas.... your never going to get the results that are worth $10-15 a gallon from the stock ecu.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra88gr;1299491 said:
i have an aem ems to tune everything with. pretty much my quistion is thes year my car is going back to the shop to get tuned i want to make some extra hp what is better to run meth or race gas or both and money like stated above is no object because if i tune it with race gas then i will run the car strickly on race gas or what ever i end up using

Ummm he said he has an AEM ^ ;)

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I feel sorry for the big turbo supra owners who have to run around on weekends with $16/per gallon C16 race gas in there tank to prove themselves.

As for E85, you can get it fairly cheap right now, and be able to run lots of boost, but you will be lucky to get 12mpg on the highway.

Sorry for my negative rant.