Racing BMW M3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studduck

Ride The Lightning
Jul 15, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Ok so my roommate is gonna get a 95-97 BMW M3, I know they are pretty fast, but has anyone raced one? I have a 90 supra turbo with a few upgrades, what do I need to instal on my supra to beat an m3?

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I used to play with them in my supra, and had no problem with most but I've got quite a few goodies...

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
My friend has the same car with a dinan (spell check) exhaust, cold air intake and a chip (don't know what stage). If you are turbo and have a full exhaust, intake and can boost and hold at least 12 psi you should be good to go. If can get and hold 15 psi you'll be making him reconcider his purchase.

FYI:This on the stock turbo ;)

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
I was messing with an 05 or 06 on the highway about two months ago and those cars are fast and handle well. We were doing a little traffic racing and I wasn't able to catch up with him at all. What mods do you have?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I had a good race with a slightly modded late 90's M3. He was fast no dought. But with my SP61GT and 18psi, he didn't kinow what hit him when I came by him squeeling all the way to 60mph. By the time I got traction, the race was over.

The E36 M3's run very low 14s in the 1/4 mile. I would thing we would at least need about 270 rwhp to be beat them convincingly.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
After Chi2k6, heading back to Indiana (parted away with the rest of the Supra gang), I was looking ahead of me a 2 hour drive on I-65.

What do I run into? Late 90's, Maybe a 2000 or so BMW M3. :D
Had wheels, 3 pillar gauge, KILLER exhaust...was definately all motor...
My Poopra was running good that day and at 16psi on my 60-1, we played cat & mouse for over an hour.

Turned a boring 2 hour road trip into a little over hours worth of Fast & Furious style interstate racing.

To sum it up, depending at what speeds, I would pull on him a little bit, and he would pull on me a little bit. It was a lot faster at high speeds than I expected!

I have a 60-1 CT26, at 13psi made 320rwhp/360rwtq...so compare yours to that, I suppose...then again, the M3 I raced wasn't exactly stock either. :icon_conf

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Well my friend let me drive his car yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!! From idle to 4,000 it felt like any other car, but after, WOOSH!!!! I thought he had a turbo. It was like that in every gear, that car is all high end!!!

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
Cya said:
Well my friend let me drive his car yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!! From idle to 4,000 it felt like any other car, but after, WOOSH!!!! I thought he had a turbo. It was like that in every gear, that car is all high end!!!

You my friend are crazy to say E36 M3's are all top end.. Yes, they are mean on the top end, but they are also very torquey.. Another reason for their impressive acceleration is the amount of traction they're given to start with.
I had a '99 for a day long testdrive once and it was very impressive for a stock car.. I raced my buddy's turbo rsx-s and beat him by a half car.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
hes right german cars are (for the most part) built for torque. the power band is right at about 3000 up to about 5000-5500
rot 90na-t said:
You my friend are crazy to say E36 M3's are all top end.. Yes, they are mean on the top end, but they are also very torquey.. Another reason for their impressive acceleration is the amount of traction they're given to start with.
I had a '99 for a day long testdrive once and it was very impressive for a stock car.. I raced my buddy's turbo rsx-s and beat him by a half car.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
Boost Lee said:
Turned a boring 2 hour road trip into a little over hours worth of Fast & Furious style interstate racing.

:icon_conf
awesome man that makes your car automatically JDM tiiight yo, a car isn't cool until you've endangered numerous innocent people and yourself fag and furious style. Its people like you that make imports suck

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
i agree it was dumb, but it was his choice

ill put it this way, GTFO of the racing section if you come to flame

that is all

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
My brother has a 96 M3. Intake and 3 inch exhaust. Dynoed 210whp. Highest stock dynoed M3 I have heard about is 223whp. Most are in the 210 range and the 95 M3s are around 200whp. M3s feel really fast because of the torque and instant throttle response. It's actually pretty slow in today's standards.

Gear 1 - 3 is fast, but once it's in 4th, it just doesn't have the power to keep pulling. I raced my brother with my ct26-60 at 10psi. Easily pulled away from at any speeds, except gear 1. Healthy stock supra should be able to hang with it easily. Any mods and you should be able to pull away.

As for driving the M3, it's 10x better then the supra. Steering feedback is many many years ahead of supra. Handling is excellent and there is tons of traction everywhere. M3s are the Ultimate Driving Machine.... If only it had a 1JZ or 2JZ in it...... :evil2:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
meh... i've beat them up on numerous occasions... (stock or lightly modded)

3,800 ish lbs
bic ddp
3" exhaust
10 ish psi w/ no BC

that was where my car was at, at that time

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
whenmunkysfly said:
hes right german cars are (for the most part) built for torque. the power band is right at about 3000 up to about 5000-5500

haha more like 2800 to 7000.. redline is like 6700 but o man does it keep pullin.. and all NA!! Oh yes, an E36 M3 will be my next ride :love:

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
tubbie said:
My brother has a 96 M3. Intake and 3 inch exhaust. Dynoed 210whp. Highest stock dynoed M3 I have heard about is 223whp. Most are in the 210 range and the 95 M3s are around 200whp. M3s feel really fast because of the torque and instant throttle response. It's actually pretty slow in today's standards.

Gear 1 - 3 is fast, but once it's in 4th, it just doesn't have the power to keep pulling. I raced my brother with my ct26-60 at 10psi. Easily pulled away from at any speeds, except gear 1. Healthy stock supra should be able to hang with it easily. Any mods and you should be able to pull away.

As for driving the M3, it's 10x better then the supra. Steering feedback is many many years ahead of supra. Handling is excellent and there is tons of traction everywhere. M3s are the Ultimate Driving Machine.... If only it had a 1JZ or 2JZ in it...... :evil2:

found this on m3forums

Year: 1998
Build Date: 06/98
Mods: STOCK
Dyno Type: Dynopack
Dyno Conditions: 10/15/05 around 1/:00 pm on a nice Cali day
Gear Dynoed: 3rd
Peak HP: 228.2 SAE @ 6,131 rpm
Peak Torque: 228.9 SAE @ 4,192 rpm

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454142

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
240 bhp at 3241 pound curb weight is pretty decent, especially for a stock vehicle.

That translates into ~261bhp on a Supra, which should be taken care of with an intake, downpipe, and exhaust, given an engine in decent to good condition.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
89supturbo said:
Insert garbage here

GTFO of here. Because I said interstate means that I'm endangering lives of others? No. Don't put words in my mouth, don't make assumptions, and mind your own God damned business.

IF, and notice I say, IF, you even knew me, you'd know I'm one of those type of people that would be LESS likely to street race or put ANYONES life in danger.
I use my own judgement. My judgement has carried me far. I'm not stupid nor ignorant. Don't judge me because I played Cat and Mouse with a BMW on OPEN roads. You better fucking believe near cars, he was going balls out while I backed off until getting around them.

Again, Stop making assumptions when, to put it simple,
you don't know shit.

Also, "It's people like you that make imports suck".

Who, when and where was I when this happened? That above statement made no sense with the subject.

Thanks.

-Jeff

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
whenmunkysfly said:

Thanks, someone who knows something about BMWs. His car at the time had an intake, cat back (dinan gutted) exhaust and a chip (not sure what level). He has a full exhaust now I can't wait to get at him :naughty:.

Status
Not open for further replies.