Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I had the camber set to -2.5 degrees front and -1.25 degrees back, dialed in to the Supra this evening. I had the caster increased to 8 degrees left and 8.5 degrees right side with 1/16inch toe in on the front and 1/8 inch on rear. The caster increase helped decrease the twitchiness the previous set up gave the steering. The car is now easier to park too!
I'll see how well it handles the festival turns (1,2,and 3 at PIR) on the track. I'll also get a chance to see how well the new brakes hold up under repeated stress going into turn one, scrubbing speed (120mph to 50mph) during the twenty minutes we run. I'll also have a passenger in the Supra.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Two items: first the rear toe was not a problem at the track Saturday. No excessive wear was noticed and the temps across the tread was a little more than ten degrees. Also, tire pressures were set at forty psi and they gained eight psi with use, so I took out two psi for the second run. I had to wait another hour before the second run and by then the tire temp was 39. The second run ambient temp was 74 degrees. The second run was better, I was better able to keep control of the rear end with the use of the accelerator.
Second item, the new tires are at full tread depth (10/32), no shaving of the tread. The tread depth causes too much squirm, so driving at the limit is, busy. The tires are BFG g-force Sport Comp2.
The good news is I didn't have an agricultural experience. I would suggest shaving the tread to less than half its height to reduce tire squirm.
I really pushed the car hard yesterday, it was on the track for two hours, maintaining RPM above 3500. The motor and the system remained WNL. The brakes were able to take the abuse, remaining predictable at the limit. I almost had the passenger right, front lock up, so I used all the braking.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
bloodasp90;1938209 said:
sounds like your car is coming right along, what next in the build??
I'd like to reduce the weight from 3364 w/full tank and spare tire; to 3100 Lbs w/full tank and spare. If at all possible, attaining that weight with full interior and sound deadening.
Any suggestions?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Let us know how you DO shed that weight! No doubt, a lighter Supra would be more nimble!

-crisp

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Van;1939252 said:
I'd like to reduce the weight from 3364 w/full tank and spare tire; to 3100 Lbs w/full tank and spare. If at all possible, attaining that weight with full interior and sound deadening.
Any suggestions?

Are you into CF Hoods?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1939377 said:
Are you into CF Hoods?
I'm looking into it, though I haven't decided to spend the money it takes to purchase one. I just can't justify the expense to myself... What is the weight difference between a CF and stock hood?

bloodasp90;1939428 said:
well if you drop the stock sound denting and go with a aftermarket one, youll still drop alot of weight.
That is what I read here on SM. I also read that I can save a lot of weight replacing the steel bumpers with Aluminum, and replacing the hatch windows with Lexan.

Last edited:

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well ill be the first to honestly tell you, i probably got rid of about 60+lbs of stock tar, but i put dynomatt back in, so i gained a few, but nothing like stock..

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Van;1939476 said:
I'm looking into it, though I haven't decided to spend the money it takes to purchase one. I just can't justify the expense to myself... What is the weight difference between a CF and stock hood?

It is hard to justify. Especially if your stock hood is in good shape. You certainly don't want to get a cheap CF Hood.

I don't know the exact weight difference; but, my CF hood is got to be 75-80% lighter. That's going by feel of course so, I'm sure someone is going to call me on that. ;)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here is a what I've done so far to lighten the Supra:
1. Alum flywheel, pulleys, intake, radiator, smaller, lighter alternator, drive shaft, bell housing front plate, drive shaft loops
2. Cut out front bumper, removed, air conditioner compressor, power steering pump and all the plumbing for both systems
3. EGR deleted, passenger seat deleted, radio/cassette player removed, speakers removed
4. Kirkey Alum Intermediate racing seat, lighter Alum wheels (17x9), lighter, bigger brakes

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I haven't the entire thread so I don't know what exactly you have yanked yet, but if the car you are putting on a severe diet is the one in your sig block, ditch the power ant, rear wiper, and motor for that. Also get a lexan rear window. Use coil overs instead of stock 2 ton shocks. Ditch the passenger side wiper if they will let you, and the motor for that as well. Just some ideas for shedding a few grams.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
At this time, I'm planning on replacing the rear glass w/ Lexan and ditching the rear window defogger and wiper. Also, the radio antenna.
I could ditch the spare tire, but where I drive, often there is no way to get cell reception.
The next lightening will be to fab up Alum bumpers. Sound deadening will be the third phase; replacing it with dyna-mat.
Thank you to all who have already given me suggestions.