Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here is the rundown of the upgraded parts, or new stock parts. My set-up: New, 7MGTE, Yellow plug engine wire harness, new Denso 2JZtt FP (12v mod) through new wire and relay, new Denso 550cc inj, new 7MGTE FP regulator and damper, J-tube deleted as of 1-7-11, new 7MGTE coils, TPS and coil wire harness.
Used, Lex/MAF w/SONIC screw, Blitz electronic, dual SBC, AFC NEO, and JDM TCCS ECU.
HTH
Van

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The reason I asked about the pump is because the J-Tube in stock form with an upgraded pump will cause fuel delivery problems. Since you've bypassed that, you should see an improvement in power potential and an even bigger improvement with tune-ability.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
So, I went to drop off parts, new fuel filter and a pair of 90 degree sweep Aeromotive fittings for the upgraded fuel lines. I was told the new Denso 2JZtt pump was tested to see if it held pressure, and it didn't. Bad check valve? Also the possibility is the pump is leaking at the hose fitting in the tank. I used a pair of spring instead of worm clamps. They will replace the spring clamps w/worm and retest the pump.

They are offering me an Aeromotive AFPR for the MKIII for $135. Is that a fair price? Plan is to install it against the firewall near the brake booster... Van

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Not holding pressure isn't good. Did they test it with or without the J-Tube attached?

That's a fair price for a nice used one and a GREAT price for a brand new one!

I mounted mine on the strut tower bar. It was easier than the firewall...

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1658447 said:
Not holding pressure isn't good. Did they test it with or without the J-Tube attached?

That's a fair price for a nice used one and a GREAT price for a brand new one!

I mounted mine on the strut tower bar. It was easier than the firewall...

Hi Kenny,
They did the testing during the time the J-tube was attached. Wryan of VIP said the pump "dead headed" at 90psi, but wouldn't hold pressure.
Saturday is a day to finish up customers cars, and my car has turned into a project, so it is going to be there for a few days. They plan to resolve the high FP and lean condition Monday. Install the AFPR and tune the Supra. We'll see...
The Aeromotive they're offering for $135, has been on display at the shop for more than a year. It comes w/ a bracket for mounting, no gauge or fittings. I asked that they use braded hose where there is chance for abrading, and use Aeromotive fittings w/ smooth radius bends for this build. They're going to Oil Filter Specialties in Portland for the custom line. Vip Performance thinks the issues will be sorted by Monday and the car tuned on Tuesday, ready to enjoy!
Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1658518 said:
The J-Tube will cause a cavitation with an upgraded pump. It sounds like that's the cause of the 'Dead Heading'.

90psi is a LOT if FP!

Here's something for review: http://www.mkiiitech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345

You'll want a gauge on the regulator.

Hi Kenny,
I just ordered Driftmotion's 7MGTE fuel rail feed and return line upgrade kits that includes a guage. So, now I'm pretty sure the restriction problem is solved. Next will be the lean-out... Stay tuned! Van

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just went through this thread. Super clean. A+++. Cant wait to see some vids of it on the track.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thank you! I had a lot of expert help... M&B Cylinder Heads, Able Radiator, Cascade Sports Car Club members (Kyle and Mike), Racetech and of course, the members of Supramania. :love:
I can hardly wait myself. My plan is to take out the Supra, do some passes on the strip, see if I can break 13.0 1/4mi, and then do a test and tune on the road course at PIR (Portland), which is a fast course, that I may be able to do in under 1:30 (dry course w/ chicane). Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
dslocal;1660436 said:
any updates on the car?
Thanks for asking.
I'm still waiting on the 7MGTE upgraded fuel parts from Driftmotion. They are scheduled to arrive Friday afternoon. VIP -Performance hopes to have all the problems sorted, parts installed and dyno tune done by Jan 18th.
The Supra is still on the stock CT26. My plan is to run it at 10psi so the chance of blowing a seal in the CHRA is lessened. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IBoughtASupra;1660866 said:
10 PSI is fine for the CT26. Let us know how the part install goes. I had that on my 7M and it is a nice kit.
I read here on SM that 8-12psi is the sweet spot for the CT26. Is that correct? Thank you for the ref to Driftmotion's fuel upgrade kit. They're going to call me when it's ready to dyno, so I'll have a short vid to share. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
My friends... It's time for my Supra to get the upgraded turbo. I'm looking at the Hybrid Motorsports bolt on JT58, for $1400 as the simplest upgrade.
For my motor and all the head work that has been done to it, I think there is perhaps something better to help it reach its full potential. No?
I see Driftmotion has a T4 upgrade turbo kit for under $1700. Choices, choices... Which way to go?
Van

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Go with the DriftMotion kit. It is a good kit and quality parts. The turbo uses all Garret internals and is really good, not some EBay quality turbo.

I would change the wastegate in the kit since it is a replica of the HKS. It is not bad quality since it is still on a car I sold but I like Tial for my wastegates and blow off valves.