r154 tranny

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
how much fluid does the r154 tranny take. how do you tell when its full and where do you fill it i couldnt find a dipstick for it so im just f ing lost

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I believe it's 3.2 quarts of oil....you check it by pulling the fill plug on the side of the trans and sticking your finger in it. <---never works

to fill the trans, I remove the shifter and pour it in there as I don't have an oil pump...the proper way is to pull the plug from the side of the trans and pump oil in.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
gaboonviper85;1466740 said:
I believe it's 3.5 quarts of oil....you check it by pulling the fill plug on the side of the trans and sticking your finger in it. <---never works

to fill the trans, I remove the shifter and pour it in there as I don't have an oil pump...the proper way is to pull the plug from the side of the trans and pump oil in.

i dont have an oil pump i have the shifter already off cause im replaceing with marlin crawler stuff. when i pulled the tranny out the other car all the oil leaked out so idk how much is left. thanks for the info. where is the fill plug? pic be great

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Yeah just pour oil in threw the shifter housing...careful not to spill as gear oil stinks the high hell and never comes out! I had a shirt that I spilled gear oil on while removing my trans and after over a year and several washings I just used it as rag material.

Always remember to drain oil before removing the trans as you'll make one hell of a mess if you don't...you'll still make a mess if you do lol.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
karlmk3;1466748 said:
i picked up mobil 1 fully synthetic that should be good right tis tranny oil

It will be "ok" but not the proper oil....the best oil for our transmissions is redline mt-90 as it doesn't contain friction modifiers.

Redline is about $9.50 a quart.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The general consensus is that Redline MT-90 is the best oil for the R series transmissions.

Off-topic, WD-40 can help get grease/oil out of clothes, but the WD-40 will then need to be washed out. WD-40 is actually a de-greaser, not a lubricant (though it can act as one), so it will destroy the oil and help loosen its bonds in the fiber of fabrics. Dish soap designed for grease will also help get oil out of clothes (just don't put it into the washer, hand wash it only or you'll have a hellofa mess).

Anyway, that was my Martha fucking Stewart moment for today.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Pepboys carries redline but usually don't stock mt-90 but you can check..

All the speed shops in my area carry mt-90 as alot of older imports use it...

Jscspeed.com stocks it...although they are only 20min from me so I never have to pay shipping...as well as the speed shop (bpspeed) right around the corner.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
lucky you no pep boys around and theres no performance shops around me either so can i use the mobile one till i can order some redline or is that a bad idea? and nice martha stwert moment bro

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Many people do use mobil1 but just so you know it WILL accelerate syncro wear and is corrosive to the syncros:-(. It will not happen over night but it will not do your trans justice!

Another alternative to redline is "motocraft sae 80w-90 premium rear Axel lubricant"...this is fords tranny oil and has no modifiers in it...can be purchased at any ford dealer!

Pic in a min

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
sweet ill rember that i want to go to redline i really do lol. but its so hard to find here ill have to order some after xmas but i want to drive the supra atleast a few times but if mobile one is that bad ill return it and pick something else up that will be a temp until redline

787m

You should really look into a service manual like haynes or chiltons, way quicker than logging on and waiting for a response from someone and super handy. Don't know if you got half price books wherever you are, but i got mine there for like 5 bucks, and I've seen the same manual at several different branches. Mine's helped me shitloads... Maintenance stuff like this is right up front.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
ya i have looked havent found one yet. but i dont mind waiting i work nights and i spend all night on supramania at ibm dollar lol.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
787m;1466933 said:
You should really look into a service manual like haynes or chiltons, way quicker than logging on and waiting for a response from someone and super handy. Don't know if you got half price books wherever you are, but i got mine there for like 5 bucks, and I've seen the same manual at several different branches. Mine's helped me shitloads... Maintenance stuff like this is right up front.

They are the worst books ever produced! Considering the Toyota service repair manual is easy to find that is the way to go! I had a chiltons and after 1 week I threw it in the trash!

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
nice .. the last a saw a toyota book go for was like 150 it was a lil insane but it covered everything my x father in law had a 1986.5 supra targa 7mgte and thats what inspired the hole supra thing for me and he had the book. he used to work for toyota i sat down and learned alot from that. but that was umm like 4 years ago so i went on to another car. i couldnt find the supra then but know i got my baby hehe