R154 refill

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
I did a search. Nothing came up. Or maybe i was searching wrong.
O.k. I know that the oil refill hole for the r154 is just above the oil drain hole. One of my friends says, that you can refill r154 through the shifter hole. I doubt it. Or is it possible?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I always refill mine through the shifter hole. Once it starts coming out of the side hole, it's full.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Or, if you already have easy access to remove shifter, you can pour 3.2 quarts in from there. Do a search on "R154 gear oil" ...should help.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Ok, thanks guys. I'm in the middle of replacing the engine. The car is on the jack stands right now. It's much easyer to fill through shifter hole rather then crawl underneath with a pump.

DearJimmy

Sep 17, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Home-Made Auto Filler:

Here's a filling tip I learned for filling holes that are tough to get to. I used it for filling my manual transmission and rear axle. This only works if you have an air compressor. Take the cap of the fluid you need to fill and drill two 3/8" holes in the top of the cap. Put that cap back on the container. Take 3/8" clear plastic tube (two sections, each about two feet long) and put one in each hole you drilled in the cap. One hose will go all the way to the bottom of the container and can wrap around the bottom. That is your discharge tube and the other end will go to whatever you're filling. The other tube will be the air supply tube. It will go only a few inches into the container. Put the other end onto the end of an air blower on your compressor hose.

*******Here's the most important part******** DIAL YOUR COMPRESSOR DOWN TO ONLY 10 POUNDS OF AIR!!!********

Before you start be sure the cap is on and all the hoses are correct. Be sure the output air is low (10 pounds). When you start the plastic bottle will expand like it's going to pop. None of mine have popped. Some hissing will be heard from where a little air escapes from where the tubing enters. Just start it and let it do its thing.. Once it gets going it takes only a few minutes to go through a whole quart!!! You can lean the bottle towards the suction tube as it empties to be sure all the fluid gets used. I mentioned this on another site and all the nay sayer's never tried it. Try it and you'll love it!!!

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
DearJimmy;1681886 said:
Home-Made Auto Filler:

Here's a filling tip I learned for filling holes that are tough to get to. I used it for filling my manual transmission and rear axle. This only works if you have an air compressor. Take the cap of the fluid you need to fill and drill two 3/8" holes in the top of the cap. Put that cap back on the container. Take 3/8" clear plastic tube (two sections, each about two feet long) and put one in each hole you drilled in the cap. One hose will go all the way to the bottom of the container and can wrap around the bottom. That is your discharge tube and the other end will go to whatever you're filling. The other tube will be the air supply tube. It will go only a few inches into the container. Put the other end onto the end of an air blower on your compressor hose.

*******Here's the most important part******** DIAL YOUR COMPRESSOR DOWN TO ONLY 10 POUNDS OF AIR!!!********

Before you start be sure the cap is on and all the hoses are correct. Be sure the output air is low (10 pounds). When you start the plastic bottle will expand like it's going to pop. None of mine have popped. Some hissing will be heard from where a little air escapes from where the tubing enters. Just start it and let it do its thing.. Once it gets going it takes only a few minutes to go through a whole quart!!! You can lean the bottle towards the suction tube as it empties to be sure all the fluid gets used. I mentioned this on another site and all the nay sayer's never tried it. Try it and you'll love it!!!

That's very interesting, Jimmy. I will have to give that a shot next time I have an awkward filling position. Since the shifter is already out of my R154, I know what I'm going to do when it comes time to refill.

While we're on the subject, what is the fluid of choice with the R154? I searched and have come up with very little.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
75W-90 (API GL-4 or GL-5)... without LSD additives.

You'll get alot of diff. people's preferences...Royal Purple, etc. Just stay away from anything w/LSD additive already in it, since it negatively affects the synchros (I believe).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IIrc royoal purple has the lsd pack.

Use either basic 75-80w90 generic oil or redline mt90.

I use the cheapest shit i can find. Usually just the valvoline 75w90. Still like 8 bux a qt.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I just did mine last night and it took about 20min.
When you have the car on Jack stands you want to be sure to have the transmision level.
Then take out to top bolt(filler hole), then drain it.
Put bolt back in the drain hole, move drain bucket over to be under the filler hole and go fill up through the shifter, once you hear it come out under the car, put it all back together.

Oh and I like redline mt90 $13.0 but it's synthetic.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
One question, what does LSD have to do with the transmission. Are you trying to say not to use LSD oil in the diff? I changed mine back in the summer and I used normal gear oil for the trans. and LSD oil for my diff. Just a little confused, clarification would be great. And with a decent hand pump I don't think it's hard from under the car at all, 8-9 pumps tops for a quart with the little unit I got.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Some geatr oil has lsd additive packs already in it and it will make the syncros slip causeing hard shifting.