harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
So I have a 89 7mgte with a r154 has a exedy clutch fendeza flywheel new clutch master cylinder and lines on a new trans. It say over the winter and when I went to take it out to put some fresh gas in it I pushed the clutch in and it felt like it was hanging up or grinding now when i push in the clutch it doesn't do anything and grinds when I try to put it in gear. Also the pedal stuck down to the floor a few times. Any sugestions on hat this could be. Everything I have into the trans and the tranit self is less than a year old.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
Could the slave cylinder be the reason for the pedal not coming back up sometimes. Fluid levels are good and it does not look like its leaking. Check by the slave and there was a little fluid around it

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yes. Slave cylinder has seals inside that get old and deteriorate. Once that happens fluid bypasses the piston (inside) and doesn't build enough pressure to push the rod into the shift fork. Your car won't go into gear. It will also allow the pedal to stay on the floor at times.

A leak in the system would do the same thing. But you'd notice it somewhere, and you'd be topping off the resevoir frequently.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
If you're leaking fluid out of the system then you can also be leaking air into the system. The pedal not returning is often a symptom of loss of pressure somewhere between the master and slave. If the slave is not getting full pressure then it would not fully disengage your clutch causing your trans to grind when putting it in gear. All this can happen while your fluid levels are fine. My guess is that your slave cylinder is junk.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
Ok so I pulled the inspection plate off and I could pull the push rod out and the little boot on it was ripped and there was dirt or some kind of debris on it. I had my dad push the clutch in and I could hold the push rod with my finger and it didn't move so looks like I'm replacing the slave cylinder. Next question is it easy to bleed the clutch? Is it like bleeding breaks?