R154 power capabilities / cost vs going mk4 6 speed

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
Here is the scenario. this is for my friend.

He has an 90supra with a 2jz in it, holset 40(spelling) turbo, with 1000cc, intercooler, aem ecu, hks sssq bov, dual walbro 255’s, fpr, 50mm hks waste gate. he is currently making 650+ WHP @ 26 psi.

Here is the issue. He has a 6 puck feramic clutch rated for 600 TQ, he shattered it. He is going to be making 1000 Hp (will be upgrading current turbo and other accessories), and will be around 800 with current turbo / setup.

HE is now looking for a clutch and has found several that could meet his power goals. The question is how will the R154 hold up to 800+ WTQ?
You see, he does not want to spend thousands of dollars on a clutch, when the tranny could go out on him, and end up getting a new tranny and have an expensive clutch for another tranny sitting in the garage.

is it more feasible to invest in a MK4 6 speed tranny, get a good clutch, and call it a day, assuming it can handle 1000tq’s stock? Or, stick with the r154, build it up (as im sure it will need one for those numbers)?

At t the end of the day we are looking for the best tranny for the buck for 1000 hp/ tq, cost wise, and for reliability.

Oh, it has to be manual. :), no Automatic suggestions please. lol.

Thank You.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The R154 is a great tranny once you've replaced the weak links. There are numerous threads on here regarding these.
You can go here and see what Aaron has to offer for the R154.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/c-drivetrainbrakes.php

Also, if you buy a clutch for the 2jz like the Carbonetics triple disc that I have, it will also work with the v160. It is made to hold 1500rwtq so I don't think you'll ever out power it.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
so both transmissions are willing and able to hold 1000 hp / tq, but which of the two is more feasible?

after replacing the weak links in the r154, how much hp/tq is it good for, approx? like wise with the 6 speed?

i tried running a search, but nothing on cost / reliabilty with the r154 vs the mk 4 6 speed.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Most trannies won't take a mis-shift at that level, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

The V-160 with a stock rear gear isn't going to be ideal as you'll be shifting more often. You'd have to find a higher gear ratio (numerically lower).

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There's been a few guys make 800rwhp through an r154. There's been more make it through the v160 and if I had to guess, I'd say the v160 is stronger, but it's also roughly 8 times the cost of an r154.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
i figure 2000 for a stock v160, plus shipping, plus cost of fabrication to get it to fit. so lest say 3000(not including clutch)?

Do you think i can have a a reliably built r154 for the same cost for my power goals? Plus from the looks of it from what Poodles is saying a stock v160 probably wont hold up to 1000 range, reliably that is.

To me it’s like the whole 2j vs 7m, both can do it, what are you willing to spend, what your power goals, and what not. We just want the most effective, reliable, feasible setup possible for the car. we’ll throw in extra money to either side if one or the other looks to be the better choice.

"2jz like the Carbonetics triple disc that I have, it will also work with the v160." so this one works with the r154 and v160? you have any complaints with this clutch?

Thanks for the input guys.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good luck finding a v160 for two grand.

As for holding up to a thousand hp. That's going to be hard, but if you can afford to make that much hp then you'll be alright. there's a big difference in making six hundred and making a thousand reliably. I wish you the best though.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
CzA;1456800 said:
i figure 2000 for a stock v160, plus shipping, plus cost of fabrication to get it to fit. so lest say 3000(not including clutch)?

Do you think i can have a a reliably built r154 for the same cost for my power goals? Plus from the looks of it from what Poodles is saying a stock v160 probably wont hold up to 1000 range, reliably that is.

You're going to spend probably more like 4k on a v160.

Most people around here will tell you that getting a v160 into a Mk3 is a huge job. I can't tell you the specifics myself, but there are a lot of custom fab parts to make/buy and some say it involves widening the transmission channel.

Most people I've met who have done the 2j swap go with the r154 because it is easier all around to put in and maintain (for the mk3 chassis that is).

Last edited:

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
I figured it would be an easy 3000, but my firend says he can get one in the States some where for 2000, not sure where though.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81553&highlight=v160&page=9

Some interesting points made out in this old thread.

Looks to me after some reading the r154 is not going to be the best bet for 800+ rwhp. I mean i'm not too surprised, its almost 4 times what the car came with.

so far without going to auto, the v160 looks to be the more reliable choice for the 1000+ Hp mark

suprahero, Poodles, Mastapip , some great info, i appreciate it.

The 6 speed in the mk3 sounds like it will be fun from what i have read. any ball park numbers as to what this can all come up to (trans, parts, fabrication, driveshaft, etc...)?

Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
with a good twin disc or triple disc clutch, I think it will cost you about seven thousand dollars minimum.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
When I called Marlin Crawler a couple of weeks ago, I was told that the r154 trannies that leave their shop will hold 1000+ hp.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'll be getting the Marlin Race tranny, but my goals end at around 550-600rwhp... for now. Maybe if I can ever get this car done,a and crap stops getting in my way I can have Bryan come out and weld in my cage. :nono: