R154 pops out of first gear

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
From a dead stop, I put the transmission in first gear. 50% of the time it pops out of gear as soon as the clutch touches the flywheel. I re-shift into first and 50% chance of it slipping out again. I always get going after 1-3 attempts. Pain in the ass at red lights.

If i put the car in first gear at 1 mph, there is only a 10% chance of popping back out.

I noticed the shifter bushing was worn so I replaced with a new Toyota one. No improvement.

No other problems. No slipping, no grinding, all other gears are fine. Handles 470rwhp very well. MT-90 fluid. Short shiter.

Any ideas? Clutch or tranmission problem?

Thanks!
Dennis

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
had same problem in my 88 was told thrust washer/ synchro by mechanics back then, actually mine started doing it in 2nd too after I was driving around for a while using 2nd as my starting gear. Im not real good with trannys so I just picked up a junkyard r154 and replaced the whole thing for 350. That may be a lil more expensive now with the growing popularity and limited quanitys of r154s though

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1st gear thrust washer. mine does the exact same thing. your going to have to rebuild or look for a good condition used. if you rebuild upgrade the thrust washer and plate.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah. sounds like first gear thrust washer. if it was a shift for you would be having problems in second to as they share the same fork. as to how hard it is. the funny thing is the hardest part for me was the shift rails. its sorta confusing. but to get to the washer you can get at it with just a bearing puller and some long bolts (sorta shaddy). that will get the rear bearing, 5th, and the main bearing off. but the problem is now you have the whole thing practically torn down so you might as well rebuild it. right. but then to get 1-2 hub and 3-4 hub off and on you need a press. also you need the press to to get the bearings and 5th on so you see the problem. and on top of that your thrust washer most likely chewed up some other parts $$$.

i had close to $600 in parts when i was done. :aigo:

and the kit won't come with snaprings, bolts, the washer, the plate, and i don't think they come with the needle roller bearings on the gears or the snout of the input shaft....

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
UPDATE!

So today I pulled the R154. It wasn't too hard except for the bolt right above the starter. That bolt took me about an hour.

So here it is on my garage floor....

p1277851_1.jpg

Disassemble the shifter support...

p1277851_2.jpg

Remove the bell housing...

p1277851_3.jpg

Remove all the acessories (sensors, torque nuts, springs, bearing balls, etc)...

p1277851_4.jpg

Remove the rear case...

p1277851_5.jpg

Remove snap rings...

p1277851_6.jpg

Remove the front case...

p1277851_7.jpg

p1277851_8.jpg

This is the first thing I notice. This bolt is completely backed out! Normal? Which fork is this? Is this my problem? Note: The threads on the fork still line up. I could reinstall the bolt in the position the fork is in.

p1277851_9.jpg

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
sm_photo_missing.jpg

You'll need a puller like that. (hope you don't mind black89t)

I'd personally call up Marlin Crawler and get their rebuild kit, Upgraded 1st Gear thrust washer, and heavy duty bearing retainer, and Use Jeff Watson for new snap rings and other fun stuff. (seals, snap rings) :)

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuilt-complete/r154-2wd-race
^If you have the Means. ;) (it'll run you high triple digits or low four digits.)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
marlin crawler stoped making the upgraded thrust washer. it wasnt holding up. take a new toyota thrust washer to a machine shop and have them custom make you one out of some strong material.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Does anybody have anything to say about this picture? If this rod has ANYTHING to do with first gear this HAS to be my problem. When the bolt is out the rod slides freely back and forth. THe bolt was literally hanging by a thread and I could tell my the wear on the bolt it was smacked back and forth until it came loose.

I already replaced the bolt.

p1279733_1.jpg

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yes. LOL.

that is what moves the sleeve (round thing over the hub) over the little splines on the gears. as you can see when you "grind the gears" you actually grind those little splines against the sleeve. what i find weird is you didn't have a problem with second gear. it could be that second didn't have enough play in it but first did. so thats why it only popped out in first. i can't say for sure but that fork is for first and second so you should be good. as long as your first gear doesn't slop back and forth a mile...

and zum i dont mind. that was just for a pic though and if you do use one of those make sure you put a small plate of steel over the end of the shaft so you dont mangle it.

Last edited: