R154 heat

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
have any of you had the problem of your r154's getting hot? it gets hot enough that i do not need to turn heat on in the mornings which are in the 40's and 50's now....lots of heat coming from trans tunnel...checked gear oil today..it is where it is suppose to be...not sure what the isue could be..and this is under normal driving..not even beating on it.after about 20 minutes of highway speeds(80mph)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do you have shift boot and everything there or no?

heat also travels back from the engine and the exhaust.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
yes,have everything there...its not only around the shifter,but where your right leg would lean against the carpet..and also the passenger side same area.is there suppose to be a layer of insulation or thermal something in the trans tunnel?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I like things cold but I use heat when cold outside 60 degrees or colder. My trans tunnel get warm on drives over an hour. Especially 80 MPH highway runs for several hours tunnel get very warm almost hot.

I plan to do so second skin spray on heat barrier and install thermal barrier as well. Doing this next time I take the trans out. This way when I dampen and do sound absorbing inside of car I will know if any other heat control will be needed if bottom of car is done first.

Anyone have feed back on second skin products.

The carpet should have insulation behind.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
My trans tunnel has become very hot since I went single turbo on my 1jz. The R154 is on 3L of MT90 and the shifter is quite hot to the touch (steel part)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I check my shifter fairly often since I just had the tranny rebuilt with lots of upgrades. It gets warm but not so I can't hold my hand on the shifter (bare metal). I would say if it gets so hot you can't keep your hand on for a good 5 second count, you might have an issue but this is my personal opinion and I am by no means an R154 expert.

When was the last time you changed the gear oil in the tranny?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
mine also runs pretty darn hot. I can touch my shifter on the metal part, but I am always surprised how hot it is...always makes me wonder if something is not happy in there.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
No prob. And I'm just using their regular water-based sound deadening compound. Their thermal barrier stuff has ceramic mixed in. I stuck with the regular for cost and weight savings. Surprisingly it does not burn on my firewall or next to the exhaust pipes. But then again, neither does the paint I sprayed on top of it, so go figure.

Last edited:

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
thanks for the reply's..i am glad to hear i am not the only person with the issue. i asked the same question on here about 5 years or so ago.got no responses. i asked again because i have a different 154 but same issue. i guess i will spray the tunnel once i pull the trans out again..whenever that will be.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
theres two air passages that go along the side of the tranny tunnel under the carpet for heat to the back seats, that might be what the heat is coming from