R154 3rd gear is grinding?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I need advice.. Heres the issue guys. As i shift to 3rd gear it grinds horribly & sometimes won't go in at. all other gears do fine.. just 3rd gear grinds bad..
I been thinking about draining the transmission oil & putting in Redline MT-90.. might this fix the issue? if not whats the point of buying the expensive oil & wasting it right? :nono:

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
it should help, my 2nd gear is a lil hard to downshift i plan on ordering some redline and seeing if it helps.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
xzeror;1788965 said:
it should help, my 2nd gear is a lil hard to downshift i plan on ordering some redline and seeing if it helps.

My shifter is extremely tough.. I've tried to show a couple females to drive 5 speed (they beg) & they simply can't get it in 1st gear... LOL. When i first got the car i could not get it out of 1st gear, even if my life depended on it.. after taking out the engine it came out. It was extremely rough & with the usage throughout the year its got to the point where its tough but not impossible to move. S

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It is not hard if you have a press, bearing pullers, snap rings pliers and a large work bench, if not, look for a reputable shop.

What's the condition of the clutch, free-play and travel adjustment in spec?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Syncros prolly worn for lots of use over the years.

My second will grind only if down shifting. Mt90 didn't help when i tried that. But changing the oil couple times actually made the biggest difference. Now I can down shift at certain speeds and how I do it.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
This may sound silly but check the bolts holding the shifter down on to the housing. Had one occasion where mine were loose and causing it to grind because the shifter wasn't seating all the way down.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
IBoughtASupra;1788978 said:
It is not hard if you have a press, bearing pullers, snap rings pliers and a large work bench, if not, look for a reputable shop.

What's the condition of the clutch, free-play and travel adjustment in spec?

Ah, i been wanting to get a work bench for the longest time now.. I have everything else...
The clutch, bought it brand new from toyota itself. Been a year since i got it installed. & i might try the travel adjustment. Totally forgot about that.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
hvyman;1788991 said:
Syncros prolly worn for lots of use over the years.

My second will grind only if down shifting. Mt90 didn't help when i tried that. But changing the oil couple times actually made the biggest difference. Now I can down shift at certain speeds and how I do it.

Thats the 1st thing that came to mind.. Worn syncros.. anyone know where i could get them? I live in Arkansas & there's only TWO machine shops & 2 or 3 transmission shops in the area. But they are crazy expensive.. All this adds on to the list of reasons i want to move back to California....

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
radiod;1789005 said:
This may sound silly but check the bolts holding the shifter down on to the housing. Had one occasion where mine were loose and causing it to grind because the shifter wasn't seating all the way down.

Oh I've actually replaced the shifters rubber piece & installed the Green truck bushing.. & my old man himself actually tightened the shifter down.. & when he tightens anything... HOLY CRAP.. lol. But I WILL check. Thank you. :icon_smil