quick turbo pressure sensor question

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
91 with a 1J
I was working on the supra today and I went to pull off my turbo pressure sensor today while the car was running (located drivers side) and when I unclipped it and my rpm's dropped to 440 rpm's insteed of the normal 650ish. I'm not sure what to think of this because when I plug it back in it goes back up to the normal. Any idea's?

-Chris

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm... did you pull the sensor located between the brake master cylinder and shock tower, or the one that most people put on the firewall? If it's the first one, I have no idea what would cause your rpms to drop, but if it's the latter, you likely pulled your MAP sensor. I believe you and I have discussed the differences between the two sensors in another thread though, I'm sure you know which one you pulled for sure. :)

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Yes I know the difference and I believe we have talked about this before. I know know it's not the MAP because I just change that sensor + it's still connected to the vaccuum line to the mani. The turbo pressure sensor ass. is plugged in (wiring harness) but not from a vaccuum source. The sensor is located by the master cylinder as well. the harness for it comes up through the drivers side fender area. If I pull my MAP while the turbo pressure ass is disconnected the car dies. I tested this to make sure my car would throw a code (and that the bulb wasn't dead) that way I know if the turbo pressure ass. would throw a code or not, which it doesn't. Any ideas?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, you say the stock boost gauge sensor isn't hooked up to a vacuum line, but it is hooked up through the harness? Mine's the exact opposite, vacuum hooked up, wiring is not, mine's idling fine, no codes. Might give that a shot, although I suspect that your problem lies elsewhere. Have you checked all the vacuum lines on the intake itself? I was working on mine this last week and accidentally slipped a couple vacuum lines off... that really shouldn't matter though, being map based.

You didn't specify why you unplugged it in the first place though, trying to clean up the bay a bit? I wouldn't mind doing that but haven't gotten around to it. Any reason you can't leave it hooked up for now? You said all was fine when it was hooked up...

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Yeah I'm working on my E-manage atm and was just looking around in the engine bay for a good spot for the 2bar map sensor when I saw it again (looked at it before) I tried unpluging it just to see what the effects where and that's what I got. I actually just made a boost leak tester and did it a few weeks ago. I had one somewhat big leak that i fixed but could really find much more. I did say I unplugged it looking back but I think where I messed up was using the word unclipped. Thinking I'll just keep it plugged in till I figure out the main reason for this.