Quick question

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I've been looking but really can't find a definite answer....

How long (just looking for a rough average) does it take to remove the motor, swap everything to a new short block, install the long block, install everything else, and get my baby back running? And would it be easier to remove with or without transmission? Just a guy that sucks at mechanic work asking quick questions before I try to embark on a build...:1zhelp:

Joey

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
That pretty much entirely depends on you.

I know guys who could probably do that in a day.

I know other guys who could do that in a month... With lots of help. :p

Pulling the motor isn't that bad (Pull the transmission too. It's easier.) if you have a good engine hoist, a couple of hydraulic jacks and a set of jack stands and a decent socket set with extensions.

Once the motor is out, working on it isn't too bad, provided that you have a decent set of tools and an engine stand. If your short block is already prepped, with the head on and torqued, and you are only looking at swapping over the intake and exhaust manifolds (And you have the gaskets on heand and ready to do that) even someone inexperienced, but mechanically inclined could probably do that in a weekend. The wiring harness will take a good deal of time though, making sure that it's all routed appropriately.

Call it 3 weekends work, or a solid week if you are doing it full-time, and have help for the stuff that has to be done under the car.

Like I said, I know people who could probably do it in a day. For me, a day is probably just getting the plumbing for the turbo all in and correct.

How assembled and ready is your shortblock?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The1;881111 said:
I've been looking but really can't find a definite answer....

How long (just looking for a rough average) does it take to remove the motor, swap everything to a new short block, install the long block, install everything else, and get my baby back running? And would it be easier to remove with or without transmission? Just a guy that sucks at mechanic work asking quick questions before I try to embark on a build...:1zhelp:

Joey

Can't give you a time estimate; but, my buddy pulled his engine twice and says that leaving the tranny attached is the way to go.

Good Luck!!!

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I am about to purchase it but all that needs to be done is the head to be put on and I already have a rebuilt head ready to go. I am about to order a gasket set and I'm just using all my other stock parts..

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
It can be done in a day, I've done it in a day before. I would just take it slow and follow the 49 steps (I did my first time) and make sure everything looks good, and make sure you know where everything goes back.

That last one is no problem on a turbo for me, but when I put the GE back into my one car I was lost. I didn't pay any attention when taking it apart and still don't remember how half of it goes back together.

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I will try to find some help here in Alabama...hopefully I can find someone that has experience with the 7M....:x:

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I thought about asking Jay but isn't he doing somethings with V's car?? :dunno:
And the thing that sucks most is I'm in the middle of both Jay and Scott. Sucks to be me

BTW..where did you get that .gif in your sig...nice!!!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Fortunately, the 7m is pretty straight forward. Especially with the Toyota Service and Repair Manual being on line.
As far as how long will it take, the first answer was the best one.

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I just wish I spent my younger years learning about cars instead of computers..(well sometimes i do..lol)
I'm just going to go out and recruit some help