Quick Question about rear main

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
real quick question, im in the middle of changing my rear main, and i cant get the seal out of the casing. i have it out of the engine, but i cant get the seal its self out.
any tips?
thanks

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
You get a razor and cut the lip off the seal, then take a screw driver to it. thats what I did.
I basically followed the same way as the jza80 or mk4 tsrm.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There's a cutaway on the back of the housing I just put a small punch in there and sitting in a chair tap the seal out with a hammer.

A thin screwdriver will work but be careful it doesn't pierce the seal and your leg ;)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Datsrboi;989729 said:
I need to do mine soon. How serious is it to do one? I know better safe then sorry but whats the chances of the old 1JZ seal failing if you do not change it out on a swap?

my 7M one failed, thus i wanted to change every seal on the jz when i got it :biglaugh:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
IJ.;989955 said:
I machine .5mm from the Seal housing so it moves back on the crank by that amount and lets the seal find virgin material away from the 20 year old groove ;)

That is a great idea! I've seen some pretty bug grooves on other engines, and that is a great idea that I have never thought about. Also, always reseal the gasket housing as they tend to leak from their too.