Quick FAL electric fan question

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
All right, I've had a dual FAL fan in my car for a while and the tech that just worked on my Supra at the local dealer cut the wiring to it and suggested that I put in a switch or relay.

I don't want to hook it up the same way it was before and I'll have a buddy of mine that works with electronics hook it up for me so that everything is done properly.

The thing that I want to know is where you guys would suggest that the power wire should get spliced in.

This is the only thing that is keeping me from driving it and I think that the last 2-3 weeks have been extremely valuable to its reliability and driveability. So as you can imagine, I'm itching to get back into it. Not to mention, I'll be able to turn in my rental car.

Thanks a lot, guys.

-Craig

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Mine came with a thermostat and control box. You don't need a relay or a manual switch with it. The relay is built in and it has an input for a manual switch, or so it appears.

I put the control box next to the battery. Hence I connected the power right from the battery.

I would strongly suggest getting the control box. The idea of an electric fan is so you don't have the fan running all the time draining power from the motor because it has to turn the fan, or alternator for an electric fan.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Ok, so I don't have to worry about the battery getting drained when the car isn't running with it hooked up like that? I only ask because I don't know much about and severely dislike working on electronics.

What part of OC do you live in?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I just cut the connectors off of the stock AC fans, and wired the connectors to the FAL fans. That way, they plug in just like factory. Worked flawlessly like that for a long time.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Here's my FAL:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
SP 7M,
The FAL fans require a lot of current to run. You've got to hook it up to a high current source, normally (in my case but not always) the battery terminal. The idea of running a control box or relay is to turn on and off the fan, just like a switch but for high current.

The control box also lets you adjust the temperature that the fan turns on. I find this a very handy feature. Although it takes a lot of adjustment before you get the temperature that you are confortable with.

Oh, I'm in NW OC (Huntington Beach/Santa Ana area)

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
All FALs are .308.

But for the oddest reason, my car isn't cooling that well since I mounted it behind the radiator.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Thanks for all the help, guys, I've got it taken care of and it's working just fine. As always, I'll keep a close eye on my temp guage just to make sure that nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Thanks again.

Bluemax-That's cool, man. I'd like to live somewhere in OC after I get back to CA. It all depends on where I find a good job, though. Speaking of that, do you know anybody in the aviation business? Please PM me if so. Thanks.