questions for full rebuild

dzb

Apr 7, 2005
New York
Hi everyone, I am newbie to the forum but not the supra.

Not to bore all you with details but i have some start up questions before i embark on a full rebuild of my '87 turbo 7mgte; R154.

Breif history: I am the second owner, bought the car back in '88 with 10K miles. In the early '90's installed, what was once available, Borla exhaust and downpipe; HKS suspension with tems controller, and K&N filter (nothing else given the money at the time). Continued to enjoy the car until mid '95 where i noticed the flunctuation in the temp gauge and water gurgle from under the dash.

Story Ends w/(Bad News): In '96 lent the car to my brother, claims it overheated (HG issues unknown at the time) and limped home to our driveway (where i started research and discovered SOGI/SONIC)...but the car has been sitting ever since. I have been following much of the supra web developments and many projects that have been accomplished.

SO, i have now decided and am prepared (money is no issue) to rebuild her and have a couple of start up questions.

My first step is the guts of the motor. I plan to pull the motor, break down accessories, but send out for machine and rebuild of internals. I plan on new forged pistons but the rest stock with all ARP hardware and MHG. The goal is 450-500 hp with the internals described above and the necessary additional upgrades as in boost control, fuel pump, Lexus/AFM, 550cc, and turbo, etc computers.

1)- does anyone have a machine shop in the metro NY area who can handle the needed tight tolerances in the machine work?
2)- is there a "complete" gasket package available out there that will replace EVERY (and also hoses) gasket in the motor?
3)- other than mirror finish for the MHG, new ARP studs, new rod bolts, valve stem seals, is there any other mandatory items that need replacement for the buildup of the motor?
4)- is there any needed modifications to the new oil pump before intalled?

I apologize if these basic questions have been beaten to death, but there are many different views out there and i just need to focus in and map out plan for the stages of the rebuild. Thanks...

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
See if toyota makes a rebuild kit, well gasket kit specifically for the 7mgte. I just rebuilt mine completely and rebuild kit I got, like most others, are for a family of engines. So you are left with extra gaskets and it was my experiece that some were missing and incorrect.

Def, get a new radiator.

Make sure that you leave the front(maybe the rear, someone chime in) timeing cover ON the block when you take it to the machine shop so it is the same level as the deck surface.

Yeah, like said above, get new hoses, clamps etc. You'll thank yourself later.