Question on my spoiler....

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
I feel really dumb, but even though I've had my Supra now for 7 months, I only just realized that I haven't seen a spoiler like mine on another Supra. It's really close to the factory spoilers I always see, but it's not quite the same. Question is, only to satisfy my curiosity, is...IS it a factory spoiler that I just haven't seen yet? If it isn't, does anyone know what it is?
p88832_1.jpg
p88832_2.jpg

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thats not factory, the factory one fits better. But it is similar.

EDIT: I like the plate: "CLASSIC", how old does a car have to be in PA to be a "classic". Here in TX I think its 25.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Factory one had the CHMSL (3rd brake light) mounted on it, that's definitely not factory, but I really don't know what it's from, I've never seen one like it on a Supra before.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
N/A's never came with spoilers from the factory. Some dealers installed them before sale though, but in any case, that spoiler was likely added to the car by a previous owner because the car didn't have one.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Mine doesn't have TEMS either. The car was owned for years by a lawyer in Erie, Pa (original buyer). He donated it to the Humane Society, who sold it to a small local used car lot who sold it to a guy named Andy, who repainted it, had it one year and sold it to me. I will ask him if HE put the spoiler on. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I can't believe in 7 months I never caught this! YOI!!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Jeff, I'm suprised, you usually got your shit straight, which I really appreciate. But...as IJ said, and here in USA too, spoiler came with the sports pkg. But hey, I love ya anyway!

And hey, grsupra87, that is REALLY a great looking car. I'd bet if the interior and underhood is as nice, you could easily take home the trophy at a show.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
MA70Supra88 said:
I have an N/A sport pakage and it did not come with a spoiler. I agree w/ Jeff that it was a dealer added thing.

You have an 88 I presume....

Quote from article....The '89 model had a minor make-over: cosmetic changes include a different front bumper cover, rear spoiler, and tailights. The turbo model also recieved 2 additional horsepower and 8 lb-ft of torque from a redesigned wastegate.

So it appears the spoiler came in the 89 sport pkg.:1zhelp:

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
mrnickleye said:
You have an 88 I presume....

Quote from article....The '89 model had a minor make-over: cosmetic changes include a different front bumper cover, rear spoiler, and tailights. The turbo model also recieved 2 additional horsepower and 8 lb-ft of torque from a redesigned wastegate.

So it appears the spoiler came in the 89 sport pkg.:1zhelp:

I'm sorry but what does that have to do with N/A sport packages? That refers to the updated 3 piece spoiler in place of the 1 piece on the 87-88's. Occasionally you will see 89 N/A's with pre-89 spoilers on them. These were added by dealerships.

edit: you may have a 3 piece on your 89 N/A, but it doesn't mean it was factory installed.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The article states spoiler added for 89, THEN it goes on the mention additional changes for the turbo model. I read an article that said the 3 piece spoiler is only offered on the turbo, and the one piece on the n/a, for 89.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The spoiler was never a factory installed thing in North America. The sport package included LSD, headlight squirters (pre-89 USA, all years Canada), TEMS (all years USA, 86.5-90 Canada), and progressive power steering (89+). LSD was available seperately as an option.

The spoiler was never factory installed on North American cars. I bet if you look at your hatch on your N/A with spoiler, you'll still see that the lines on the rear glass still have an open spot for where the 3rd brake light was originally mounted from the factory.

I've seen many many many N/A's with sport package without spoilers, for every year of the MK3.