Question: How difficult is it to convert a 4 speed auto tranny to 5 speed?

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
So ive been thinking to possibly convert my 4 speed auto to 5 speed manual tranny...how difficult is it to do it? Is it worth it? And by any chance might any of you guys know whats the price range to do this job if taken to a shop? :1zhelp::1zhelp:

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
oh okayy ill search for those write-ups. Well the only thing i can think of that might need to be cut is that extra hole for the clutch pedal right? but do you have any idea what a shop might charge to do it?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Parts alone for a complete swap are going to run you anywhere from $1200-$1700. Labor for a shop would be the time it takes to change a transmission at least plus there is some wiring to get an auto harness to work with a 5-speed. I would put shop time at 12 hours at anywhere from $50-$100 per hour so low estimate would be $600. I think conservatively if you provided all the parts to a knowledgeable mechanic it would be around $2000 give or take.

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
Hmm makes sense all your saying, because ive been told from others supra guys its not that difficult if like you said have the knowledge to do it and most get it done within the weekend at a steady pace. No rush

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
SupraFreak619;1834636 said:
oh okayy ill search for those write-ups. Well the only thing i can think of that might need to be cut is that extra hole for the clutch pedal right? but do you have any idea what a shop might charge to do it?

I just did this a few weeks ago. There is no cutting involved, there is already a hole in the firewall where the clutch pedal goes to bolt to the master cylinder. Just pull the rubber firewall plug, peel the pre-cut sound deadening material oval off the inside of the firewall and install.

You will need a brake pedal from a manual car as well as a clutch so don't just get the clutch and think you're all set.

ps. do it yourself, it's easy.

I believe you;re also going to need the front half of the drive shaft from a 5 speed car. I don't know for sure because I had a custom aluminum one made.

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
Really? NICE, how long did the conversion take you? Any special air tools needed or just simple wrench lol If i may ask what was your total bill at the end when you finished? So to get this right any front half drive shaft of ANY 5 speed car will do?? one more thing, do you know any write-up with pics on how to do the conversion that way im not completely lost when attempting :)
Mr Bojangles;1834664 said:
I just did this a few weeks ago. There is no cutting involved, there is already a hole in the firewall where the clutch pedal goes to bolt to the master cylinder. Just pull the rubber firewall plug, peel the pre-cut sound deadening material oval off the inside of the firewall and install.

You will need a brake pedal from a manual car as well as a clutch so don't just get the clutch and think you're all set.

ps. do it yourself, it's easy.

I believe you;re also going to need the front half of the drive shaft from a 5 speed car. I don't know for sure because I had a custom aluminum one made.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
Here's your parts list man. I've done this on a 7m with r154 and am about to do the swap on my 2jz

-R154 Transmission
-Appropriate bellhousing (7M or JZ)
-Appropriate flywheel (7M or JZ)
-Clutch disc and pressure plate
-Release bearing and fork
-Clutch and brake pedals
-Master and slave cylinders
-Clutch line from master to slave
-Driveshaft (if using stock you can just grab the front half of the R154 shaft as all rear sections are identical)
-R154 transmission mount ($5 on rock auto)
-R154 crossmember (I used my auto one, some people say its different)
-Misc: Bolts, Pilot bearing, Fluid, Shifter, Shift Boot, Shift Knob

Also your trans may or may not come with the ABS sensor. It also may or may not come with the correct speedometer drive (cable vs electronic). It all depends on where you source it from.

You will also need to jumper your auto harness plug to make it think the car is in park. It's a big round three pin plug, jumper the two parallel pins.

Hope that helps. I have a stock clutch for sale slightly used if you wanted it.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
If you're going to be putting the 154 behind a 7M you will also need wing brackets that tie the trans to the motor. If you decide to do the swap I have the brackets I can sell you.

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
Thaks for the detailed list man! really appreciate it :) im going to start looking for the tranny which in some cases is the hardest to find. And about that clutch have any pics?

ifyouaint1sturlast;1834879 said:
Here's your parts list man. I've done this on a 7m with r154 and am about to do the swap on my 2jz

-R154 Transmission
-Appropriate bellhousing (7M or JZ)
-Appropriate flywheel (7M or JZ)
-Clutch disc and pressure plate
-Release bearing and fork
-Clutch and brake pedals
-Master and slave cylinders
-Clutch line from master to slave
-Driveshaft (if using stock you can just grab the front half of the R154 shaft as all rear sections are identical)
-R154 transmission mount ($5 on rock auto)
-R154 crossmember (I used my auto one, some people say its different)
-Misc: Bolts, Pilot bearing, Fluid, Shifter, Shift Boot, Shift Knob

Also your trans may or may not come with the ABS sensor. It also may or may not come with the correct speedometer drive (cable vs electronic). It all depends on where you source it from.

You will also need to jumper your auto harness plug to make it think the car is in park. It's a big round three pin plug, jumper the two parallel pins.

Hope that helps. I have a stock clutch for sale slightly used if you wanted it.

SupraFreak619

Feb 6, 2012
Hemet, CA
ohh really? Okay fur sure so the current ones wont do the job? Yea i really want too do the swap im going to start looking for the parts hopefully get this project started soon :) How much would you sell them for?

Mr Bojangles;1834976 said:
If you're going to be putting the 154 behind a 7M you will also need wing brackets that tie the trans to the motor. If you decide to do the swap I have the brackets I can sell you.