Question about using a n/a intake for a turbo engine.

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
This might sound like the most retarded question ever but... someone has to ask it right...? lol
I tried searching but was getting no where so here goes.

I already know that the reason a y pipe style intake is used on a n/a is to disperse air more efficiently to all the cylinders and a single pipe is used on turbo engines because the air gets boosted and it doesn't matter having a y pipe because the air will get there. However, over the past year of owning my turbo and driving 30 minutes to and from work everyday, and the fact that this is my first turbo car and only now am I a little more aquainted with turbo cars, I am wondering a few things.

First thing is that unless I feel like wasting gas I usually don't even make boost and due to gas prices I keep a really light foot on the gas. Even when I first got my turbo I noticed that I only made boost when I was accelerating and maybe a tiny bit after keeping a steady pace of a speed after accelerating. On any given trip to or from work I would say that I only made boost about 5% of the trip.

With this observation made, I am now wondering 2 things. 1, Would a y pipe n/a intake give me better gas mileage? and 2, has anyone ever used a n/a intake on a turbo car?

Thanks in advance

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The MPG's are the same between the NA and turbo mkiii's. The NA engine is more efficient because of it's higher compression pistons and that effeciency is offset by its 4.30 differential.

That's my theory, I'm not to sure about that, no one buys these 3600-lb gt cars for good gas mileage. You're gonna have to try it and see.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There are other issues with the NA intake. Like for instance, the port for the idle air controller is in a different place. It's set up on the turbo model so that it never sees compressed air from post turbo compressor. On the NA model, every time you hit boost, the IAC will be trying to hold back compressed air.

This may still work... but if so, I tend to wonder why Toyota elected to run a supply pipe all the way over the engine.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
GrimJack;1833744 said:
There are other issues with the NA intake. Like for instance, the port for the idle air controller is in a different place. It's set up on the turbo model so that it never sees compressed air from post turbo compressor. On the NA model, every time you hit boost, the IAC will be trying to hold back compressed air.

This may still work... but if so, I tend to wonder why Toyota elected to run a supply pipe all the way over the engine.
Always wondered why they didn't run the hose to a charge pipe, considering there would be no need for a check valve behind it if they did so.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
My n/a with 3.90 gears got 27 MPG on multiple highway trips and once I got 36.. surprised the hell out of me

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Backlash2032;1835066 said:
My n/a with 3.90 gears got 27 MPG on multiple highway trips and once I got 36.. surprised the hell out of me

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Reminds me of when my turbo supra started giving me good gas mileage. I fixed an exhaust leak, and the good MPG's went away, lol. But yea, it was the EGR cooler gasket, so I figured the pre-O2-sensor leak made it run lean.